When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Monday, July 30, 2012

Put to the test already!

As soon as I finished writing my last entry earlier this evening, I went to dinner.  As I am accustomed to do, I was solving crossword puzzles.  My cell phone was on the table right next to my hand.  I saw another hand reach over the counter and grab my phone!  I looked up to see who was playing a trick on me only to find out the young kid was stealing it!  I shouted "HEY" and he took off!  Of course, being in shock that anyone would be so brazen, it took me a couple of seconds to actually try and give chase.  No one else in the restaurant even attempted to help (not that there was anything they could do, so I'm not faulting them--they were probably amazed at the audacity of the thief as well).  I tried to chase the guy.  First, I tripped over my own two feet (I don't know why, other than I was probably trying to run faster than any fat guy should!)  I got to my feet, then my momentum made me tumble again!  My knees and my right elbow are scraped up and burning, my watchband broke, my watch has stopped--it's probably broken--and my cell phone is long gone.  I stopped the services to the phone, so the thief can't use it.  I also called the police, but they said there's nothing they can do (!!!????!!!). 

As soon as I got back to my apartment, I thought about my earlier blog entry, and the answer I gave to the woman who came to my door.

So I guess I'll chalk it up to being in the wrong place at the wrong time and pray for the misguided individual who has a worthless iPhone in his possession.  I'll pray that he someday understands that what he did today is wrong, that he confesses, repents, and goes to Heaven.  It's the least I can do.  Then, I'll go to Mass early in the morning and offer it up for they guy.  That's the best I can do. But right now, I'm going to bed.  I have to replace my phone tomorrow.

No comments: