When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Developing talents (with the support of a loving family)


As Thanksgiving Day approaches, it’s good to remember that the talents or abilities that we possess are given to us by God. He does not want us to have a false humility about what He has given us and not develop and use them. We are expected to acknowledge these gifts and work to develop them to the fullest.

God does not give us our talents and abilities just for our own purposes of accumulating personal wealth or gaining admiration for our talent. God gives us these gifts to be developed and utilized for the good of His kingdom here on earth. We all can do this in our interactions with others that recognize the other as a unique person made in God’s image. We can do this by sharing of our monetary wealth with those in need. We can do it by sharing our knowledge through teaching or writing. We can do it by creating and sharing pieces of art, dance or song. We can do it by caring for the ill or conducting business in a fair and ethical manner. We can do it by caring for the physical resources of this earth entrusted to us.

Since my mom will be moving South in a few weeks to live with my sister-in-law, this may be the last chance to celebrate the holiday with her.  With Marilyn in agreement, we decided that she and the girls and Lily will carry on tradition by celebrating the day at the family cabin in the mountains with her mother and siblings, while I have elected to spend the day with my mom reflecting on the gifts and blessings God has bestowed on me. 

 My plan was to order one of those ‘prepared Thanksgiving dinners’ that grocery stores and delis sell to people like me who are, shall we say, less than adept in the culinary arts. (By the way, this is not humility—just a fact!) This is indicative of my usual culinary talent:
Evidently, Marilyn and Alicia have more confidence in my abilities than I do, because when I told them of my plan they went to the grocery store and got me the ‘fixins’ for a real Thanksgiving Day meal that even I should be able to prepare. There was a pre-seasoned turkey drumstick and breast that I only need to pop into the oven for about an hour and twenty minutes.   They also got me some stove-top stuffing mix, peas with pearl onions and some yams.  I’ll boil some potatoes that Mom has and mash those, and we’ll make some biscuits (OK, I’ll use one of those ‘poppin fresh’ doohickeys and the microwave—but the thought is there!).  A little packaged gravy mix and we have Thanksgiving dinner for two!  And I figure that if I feel a little overwhelmed while in the kitchen all I have to remember is that I have a world-class cook in the room with me!  In fact, the more I think about it, the more I think it will be fun to attempt this feat with just Mom to witness and share in my success at using the talents and resources that God has given me.  The upside is that if it’s not a success, I think I can trust Mom to tell me it is anyway (lol).
 
As I said, we are expected to acknowledge the gifts and talents we have been given by God and work to develop them to the fullest. I'm going to embrace this opportunity to learn a new talent (how to cook) and use it to be of service to Mom on the day that we set aside specifically to give thanks to God for everything we have and everything we are.
As long as it is done for the good of God’s kingdom, it is the rightful use of our talents and resources and our reward will be great. We will be like the elders of John’s dream in Revelations, saying:
"Worthy are you, Lord our God,
to receive glory and honor and power,
for you created all things;
because of your will they came to be and were created."

No comments: