When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

What are we afraid of?


I am constantly reminded of the awesomeness of our loving Creator as He speaks to us through our Scriptures and traditions.  As I write this entry, we are awaiting the results of our election here in the US.  Regardless of the outcome, Holy Mother Church in her wisdom guided by the Holy Spirit has selected two readings for the day after the elections that have put my mind at rest. 

The LORD is my light and my salvation;
whom should I fear?
The LORD is my life's refuge;
of whom should I be afraid?

One thing I ask of the LORD;
this I seek:
To dwell in the house of the LORD
all the days of my life,
That I may gaze on the loveliness of the LORD
and contemplate his temple.

I believe that I shall see the bounty of the LORD
in the land of the living.
Wait for the LORD with courage;
be stouthearted, and wait for the LORD.

--Psalm 27

And;

"be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you shine like lights in the world, as you hold on to the word of life."

--Phillipians2

It is only in God’s Son, our Lord Jesus that we find true light and real salvation. He is the Word to whom we can turn when we have no words of our own and no light of our own. Jesus is our life when we have no vigor or strength of our own. He alone saves us!

When we feel weak, when we feel lost, we must turn to the Lord Himself. Then, when we are with the Lord, there is nothing to fear.

Let nothing disturb you,
Let nothing frighten you,
All things are passing away:
God never changes.
Patience obtains all things
Whoever has God lacks nothing;
God alone suffices.


– St. Teresa of Avila

No comments: