When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

A birthday blog for Mom

Marilyn and I have been trying to figure out what to get Mom for her birthday this year.  For some reason, it was easier to know what she wanted or needed when she lived nearby.  She moved away only 2 months ago, but I miss her a lot.  I guess deep down, I’m a “momma’s boy”.  I miss taking her to Mass or bringing her the Eucharist on Sundays.  I miss our weekly visits together when we would discuss everything from faith to family and Facebook.  I even miss going grocery shopping with and for her! 
This is not to say I don’t love being able to spend more time with Marilyn and my girls (especially Lily), but there are some Sundays that we don’t necessarily go anywhere or do any activities and those are the times I feel a certain loneliness for Mom.  Even then, I’m such a lousy son I don’t call her and tell her I miss her.  Of course, I rarely call Marilyn either, even though I miss her terribly during the week when I’m away at work.  It’s a problem I confess often. 
Anyway, back to Mom’s birthday.  Marilyn and I have knocked around several different ideas for so long, we missed it!  Here it is the 20th, her birthday is tomorrow, and nothing’s been purchased or sent—not even a card!  I feel real bad about not having anything for her tomorrow.  I have an “out” though; I’m going to visit her next Sunday.  That gives Marilyn and me 3 days to get this handled.
In the meantime, Mom, I thought you might enjoy reading some quotes I found on the internet about mothers that share my feelings about you:   
I remember my mother's prayers and they have always followed me.  They have clung to me all my life.  ~Abraham Lincoln
I would say your prayers have not only followed me, but led me in my life decisions and instilled in me the faith in Christ that is our hope for the world!
[A] mother is one to whom you hurry when you are troubled.  ~Emily Dickinson
How true this one is! 
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children.  ~William Makepeace Thacker

I think after we get to know God, “Mother” can still be substituted for the name of the love that God has for us.  The model of love that a mother gives her children makes them appreciate the magnificence and magnitude of God’s love all the more!

The moment a child is born, the mother is also born.  She never existed before.  The woman existed, but the mother, never.  A mother is something absolutely new.  ~Rajneesh

I agree.  A mother is absolutely new for every child she bears.  Each child has a mother of his own—children share a mother’s physical presence, but the love between each child and his mother is unique;  not more, not less—simply unique.  

A mother is the truest friend we have, when trials heavy and sudden, fall upon us; when adversity takes the place of prosperity; when friends who rejoice with us in our sunshine desert us; when trouble thickens around us, still will she cling to us, and endeavor by her kind precepts and counsels to dissipate the clouds of darkness, and cause peace to return to our hearts.  ~Washington Irving

Absolutely—My brothers and I are blessed that our mom has modeled her love for us on our Blessed Mother’s love for her Son, and given her the courage and foresight to know when to ask for Mary’s help when she feels overburdened.

You can fool some of the people some of the time, but you can't fool mom.  ~Author Unknown

And God knows we’ve tried!  Ha ha.

And my favorite for its comedic value…….as well as its veracity!

Don't ever tell the mother of a newborn that her baby's smile is just gas.  ~Jill Woodhull

 I also found the following poem that pretty much sums up my feelings today:
I love you, Mom
And that's why I pray
Not just today on your birthday
 
But with each remembrance
Of the love you've expressed
My thankfulness to the Lord I've professed
 
For my life began
In a warm and safe place
Then grew more secure in your tender embrace
 
When I was little
You taught me to crawl
Then to walk and run, and get up when I fall
 
Nurtured and cared for
You raised me to stand
Lifted, supported, by your loving hand
 
You believed in me
Inspired me to dream
Nothing was impossible for me, it seemed
 
It was your example
That pointed the way
To the life in Christ I know today
 
Mom, I love you 
On this, your birthday
You're the reason I'm taking this moment to pray
 
My mom, I love her
Let her know, dear Lord
Please bless her with the most abundant reward
 
--Mary Fairchild

Happy Birthday, Mom!

No comments: