When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Monday, February 11, 2013

The big picture


When I heard the news about the pope resigning his office as Bishop of Rome, it threw me for a loop.  I had all sorts of thoughts and feelings swirling inside me; disbelief first, then sadness, then worry, then hope.

The disbelief stemmed from the fact that although I had read about a couple of popes resigning in the past, it was the distant past—the last was over 600 years ago!  I thought “Popes don’t ‘resign’!  The office of the Bishop of Rome is a lifetime gig!” I got over my disbelief after logic kicked in and I realized the pope wouldn’t resign if it weren’t possible.

Then I was saddened to think that our Holy Father might be sicker than anyone knew, and that was the reason he was quitting.  But no, turns out (as I’ve always known, but chosen to ignore the fact that) he’s human, getting old, and just can’t “feed Christ’s sheep” in the manner he thinks worthy of Jesus.  One of my biggest faults is taking on jobs that are too big for me to handle alone and waiting until the last minute to ask for help. After listening to people “in the know” on the radio and television today, such is not the case with Benedict.  It turns out he’s been discerning this move for a couple of years already.  It takes a heavy dose of humility to admit you’re not up to the task.  I say “Bravo, Holy Father”!

After the sadness wore off, worry set in.  Is this a sign from the Holy Spirit?  Why would he choose the first week of Lent to announce his decision?  Couldn’t he wait until after Easter?  I heard a priest on the radio today respond to a listener who had called in to ask those very questions.  His response came across in the form of a joke —at least it was meant to be a joke.  He told the caller that the Holy Father was setting the example for Lent.  He then asked her “And what are YOU giving up for Lent?”  I must admit I laughed at first, and then I realized how his question could apply to me, as well.  My worries about the resignation gave way to a search for humility in my own Lenten practice this season.

So I picked up my missal and sought to make some hope out of the situation.  I love the Holy Spirit.  He always knows just the right words to give me hope.  His words jumped out at me in the readings from Genesis that we’ve begun the week with.

Now and then, we get so caught up in all the details of our daily lives that we don't consider the "big picture." Genesis speaks about the creation of the world and gives us the perfect opportunity to step back and take a look at this big, beautiful world of ours -- all created by the hands of a loving God. Just think; the stars in the sky are the work of His fingers!
 
 
 
 
And every tiny creature, from the one-celled to the largest whales, was lovingly conceived in His heart and brought to life!
 

Take a few moments today to contemplate all that God has created and how each one fits into the “big picture”. Close your eyes and recall the most beautiful sights you have ever seen: a sky afire with a glowing sunset . . . a majestic snow-capped mountaintop . . . a pure, white rose . . . a sleeping kitten . . . a baby's smile. Each and every one is just a tiny reflection of the genius and loving care of God! And each one fits His plan, even though we sometimes fight Him every inch of the way, thinking we know better.

Good luck and God Bless you, Holy Father, in your well-earned retirement.  Rest easy in the knowledge of a job well done!

No comments: