When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Thursday, May 23, 2013

A friend indeed


Thanks to all of you who prayed for my mother’s successful surgical procedure a couple of days ago.  She came through like a trooper, although she is still understandably sore and can use your continued prayers for her recovery.
 
As I waited in the “family room” of the hospital with my sister-in-law,  we idly chatted about this and that and the other.  One of the topics that came up was after I checked my Facebook and Twitter accounts on my cell phone.  I joined the social media sites to help me keep up with my extended family members and their lives.  I remarked that there were 2 especially prolific “friends” of mine who I could count on for daily updates.
 
One is a cousin who—although I love her dearly—drives me crazy with her political views that I can only guess at, since her “LIKES” appear to come from all over the political spectrum.  One day she’s posting links to extremely left-leaning sites and the next day the sites are all leaning far-right!  I “unfriended” her once because she was driving me nuts, but when I saw her at a family gathering shortly thereafter she asked if I had seen her post about something (I forgot what it was), I had to lie through my teeth saying, “No, I don’t know why but I can’t see your posts lately.”  We determined it was Facebook’s fault with all of the recent updates that had occurred.  OK, I can live with that.  I told her to submit her name again as a friend and I would accept it and see if that fixed the “problem.”  It did.  Oh boy, did it!  I rarely read them because no matter which side of an issue she is on, I seem to be on the other.  I think I would be more apt to read her “updates” if she backed her opinions up with some commentary of her own, but she simply posts links to others’ opinions.  I really can’t take them seriously.

The other “friend” I can depend on for a daily post is my nephew Tim.   He is a very faithful Catholic who, in my opinion, knows who he is and where he stands on every issue and always backs up his opinions with a well-formed conscience and moral compass.  I think it helps that he also has a very personal relationship with Jesus—a relationship I am envious of.  He wears his faith on his sleeve.  His updates always uplift my spirits.

These two Facebook “friends” came immediately to my mind when reading the Scripture for today’s Mass.  Sirach writes, “Let your acquaintances be many, but one in a thousand your confidant.” (Sirach 6:5-17)  In our human world, the word “friend” is used liberally to refer to the many acquaintances we keep in our day-to-day living; people with whom we talk and share with, at least superficially, on a wide range of topics and experiences.  As social media applications become more and more integrated into everyday interactions, we now live in a world where “social networks” and quantifiable lists of “Friends,” “Contacts,” and/or “Followers” simultaneously measure the vastness of our social linkages and promulgate our triumphs and tribulations, wisdom and whines, whether banal or vital.  While these networks and personal connections have value and enrich our human experience, Sirach cautions us of the all too often self-invested purposes of these friendships, and addresses the characteristics of a “faithful friend.” 

Sirach goes on to write, “A faithful friend is a sturdy shelter; he who finds one finds a treasure.”  So, while counting a multitude of friends seems essential, we learn that some people will not be our faithful friends.

Even so, we find sturdy shelter in our few confidants.  As I reflect on the more intimate (and diverse) group of people who hold this confidant role in my life, I cannot help but to think about Sirach’s final thoughts on faithful friends:
“A faithful friend is a live-saving remedy, such as he who fears God finds; for he who fears God behaves accordingly and his friends will be life himself.”

In my life my faithful friends have been those people who have brought me closer towards God—knowingly or unknowingly--, those who have been a means for God to work through to offer guidance, hope, and love in times of both consolation and desolation.  In times of distress and joy my true companions bring me closer to God.  In this way, my faithful friends (like Tim) allow me to grow in my friendship with God.

Thanks, Tim

No comments: