When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Work CAN be fun--and it can lead to salvation, too!


Over the last few weeks, I’ve been chastised by many, many friends and family for working too hard and too many hours.  While there certainly are days when I feel exhausted, I love my job.  It’s fun.  I can work as hard as I want or goof off some days—as long as the work gets done.
 
I work very closely with my boss, spending most days traveling from location to location, helping the general managers and their teams become more productive.  We use a lot of humor and “shtick” to help allay the intimidation a visit from a company superior can bring.  We were at a location yesterday where we haven’t placed a GM yet.  The location is small, and being run day to day by a young man who is going places in this company.  Anyway, Todd (my boss) and I were in the middle of one of our usual give and take “dog and pony shows” when the kid says “You guys ought to go on the road!  This is very good stuff!”  We laughed it off of course, because we know it’s just banter between two very good friends that makes the workday shorter.
 
Today was the memorial of St. Joseph the Worker.  In reading the Scriptures and some meditations a thought occurred to me.  Work done with love and out of love (sometimes accompanied with humor) can be one of our most powerful means we have to speak of Jesus in this lost and darkening world.  When it comes right down to it, I think I love my job most because it is a service that helps make peoples' lives better.  
 
How wonderful it is that our daily work can be a means for our salvation! Work done for the glory and honor of God is just that -- a means for our salvation!

Let us pray that like St. Joseph, the Worker, our daily work may be done with humility, love and gratitude for the coming kingdom of God among us.  I’m sure he wouldn’t begrudge us if we use a little good-natured humor along the way.

No comments: