When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Saturday, December 21, 2013

I know God exists because of the prayers of my mother


December 20, 2013===




I couldn't let the day end (well technically I did—since the clock just struck 12 midnight) without giving a shout out to my mom and dad. Today (yesterday) was Dad's 106th birthday. I hope I turned out the way he would want me to.




It was also Mom and Dad's Anniversary. They were married on December 20, 1941 after a whirlwind courtship and doted on one another until Dad passed away in 1970. Mom sent out an email to all of her children today assuring us that she still thinks of Dad every day and prays for him as well. She included a short prayer for him that I repeated several times during my own rosary this evening.




I thought I would take the occasion to thank Mom and Dad for my faith. Let me clarify that—God blesses us with Faith. But He most often offers it to us then nurtures it through our parents. Think about that. I did today. I was having trouble finding the words to describe how I arrived at my faith, when the Holy Spirit sent me the words and the inspiration for this blog entry through the words of a radio personality (who just happens to be Catholic) I was listening to today.




He said “I know God exists because of Mom's unwavering faith and prayers.” I thought “That's exactly the way I feel!” Mom's example of uncompromising faith and prayers are the “insulin shot” I need when my faith grows “diabetic”.




So as a (late) Birthday present to Dad and Anniversary present to both Mom and Dad I offer the following prayer:




Heavenly Father, I thank You for my parents. I am confident that You chose my parents for me knowing that they would introduce me to You through their example of love and devotion to one another. Their example is the cornerstone upon which I have tried to lead my own family to You. I trust that through Your Son's mercy I will be able to spend eternity with my parents and the rest of my family in praising You. I present this prayer to You through Your son, our Lord Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments: