When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Thursday, January 9, 2014

No! Really! I've got something in my eye!

I related a couple of weeks ago that I cried during Mass when, during the annual Christmas children’s play, the “baby Jesus” (usually portrayed by a newborn baby of the parish) is placed in the arms of the girl playing the part of Mary.  I felt as though I was there in that stable those many, many years ago witnessing the humanity of Jesus.
 
This morning at Mass I cried again!  (I hope this isn’t going to be a pattern—I have an image to uphold, you know).  As the Gospel was being read, I placed myself in the synagogue as Jesus was reading the scroll with the passage from Isaiah.  I was as rapt as His audience was then and amazed at His knowledge and teaching.  When He said “Today, in your hearing this Scripture is fulfilled”, I lost it.  My eyes filled with tears and I felt so unworthy to be in His presence, witnessing the divinity of Jesus.

It’s not the first time I’ve realized it, but these last two incidents brought home to me that I really, really believe in Jesus Christ and His Good News!  I felt so blessed!  I was elated when the Holy Spirit reinforced what that can mean for me (and anyone else who believes) in 1John 5:5-13.

To paraphrase John (I hope I got it right!):
  

Faith is our best measure of success. The successful person is the one who believes in Jesus. Jesus was actually born. He is our Savior by blood through His birth in human form and by His death.  Jesus is fully human, born as a baby from a human woman, and fully God. Those who acknowledge His humanity and His divinity are the winners and their prize is eternal life.  Those who believe in God and Jesus and praise Him are blessed, and their children are blessed, and they are blessed with life everlasting.   When we believe in God, when we believe in Jesus, we win.  And our prize is the blessing of our faith, healing, and life everlasting.

No comments: