When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Thursday, March 13, 2014

A great gift

If you bring your gift to the altar, and there recall that your brother has anything against you, leave your gift there at the altar, go first and be reconciled with your brother, and then come and offer your gift. (Matt 5:20-26)

Earlier today, I lost my temper at work. There was no excuse, and no reason. I was feeling sorry for myself and frustrated that my plans for a light day at work were being subverted by everything and anything. My back hurt, my head ached, and I needed to be somewhere else when a very small inconvenience set me off. I was so abusive verbally to two different co-workers who I respect greatly.

One of them understandably called me out for disrespect, but I wouldn't hear of it. I stormed off to do my task and let them handle the problem that as a matter of fact only I could handle.

As soon as I walked off in anger, I regretted it. I actually felt sick to my stomach and I couldn't organize my thoughts enough to handle the task at hand. I said to God “I'm sorry! I don't know what came over me!” As plain as day, He put the thought in my mind “If you recall that your brother has anything against you, go first and be reconciled with your brother, and them come and offer your gift.”

I knew that I had to apologize to both of my co-workers (one of whom was still crying at the harshness of my words). It was a very hard apology to make, but I knew I was wrong and I have been trying to go to Mass as much as I can during Lent, and I didn't want to have to face Jesus in the Eucharist after abusing Him so much in my treatment of my neighbors.

Both of them accepted my apology immediately when they realized it was heartfelt and sincere. I think they appreciated that I offered no excuses, only an apology. By the end of the day we were all laughing and working well with one another as if nothing had happened. In fact, I ended up promoting one of them to a higher position with the company, which has been the reason I've been working so hard the last 3 weeks training her for the new position.

So when I got back to the apartment tonight and read the readings for tomorrow in preparation for Mass, imagine my surprise and gratitude that God, through His Church chose to remind me that forgiveness is probably the greatest gift we can receive from one another.



No comments: