When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Memories of Grandpa Batty


Because I have hope eternal in the mercies of God through His Son Jesus Christ, I tend to think of the dates that my loved ones pass on as their "feast days."  Tomorrow is my grandfather's "feast day", as he was called home to Christ on the Solemnity of St. Joseph the Worker in 1970.
 
The Catholic Church assigns one date out of the year for each and every canonized saint — known as the saint’s feast day. The saints are remembered on their individual feast days with special mention, prayers, and possibly a scripture reading.

A saint’s feast day can be the day of their actual death or a day assigned by the Church.  Typically, the Church only assigns a day when the day of death is unknown or if several other saints are already assigned to that day. The number of canonized saints, however, is greater than the number of days in a calendar year; therefore two or more saints often share the same feast day. Because overlap often occurs, and the Church isn’t sure of the date of death of some saints, other calendar dates are sometimes chosen — such as the day that the saint was canonized.

An example is St. Joseph the Worker’s Day, March 19.  This day is a full solemnity—a full blown liturgical feast, or a pretty big occasion in the Catholic Church.  The reason should be obvious due to the belief about Joseph’s role in the early life of Jesus: As the husband of Mary and foster father of Jesus, he took care of Mary and Jesus.  He’s the patron of the universal Church and the head of the holy family, which refers to Jesus, Mary, and Joseph during the first 30 years of Jesus’ life.  How fitting that my grandfather should be called home to Heaven on this day!

I was only 16 years old when Clarence L (no name, just the initial) Batty died.  Even though Mom and Dad took us to Compton to visit them often, my memories of going to Grandma and Grandpa's house are sketchy at best.
  

There is one thing in particular that I remember every time I think of Grandpa.   He is the one who introduced me to the "funny papers" in the Sunday newspaper.  Since most of our visits were on Sunday (or so it seemed, anyway), I can see in my mind's eye Grandpa sitting on his sofa as we entered his house reading the Sunday paper.  When he saw me come through the door, he would say “Hi!” and hand me the “funnies”.  That was what he called them.  I don’t think I ever heard him call them anything else.  They were the funnies.  He told me once that he always read the funnies first, because the rest of the newspaper was sure to depress him.  He was a wise and funny man.  Pun intended.

As a matter of fact, most memories that come to me about my visits to Grandpa's house involve reading.  I don't know if it was Grandma or Grandpa who bought them, but I remember reading a lot of comic books at their house.  Not Superman or Batman or any of the "cool" comics I collected at home, but "Classic Comics"--comics that were condensed, illustrated versions of classic novels.  I read "Last of the Mohicans", "Moby Dick", and several other "novels" for the first time in this format, all while sitting or lying prone on the floor at my grandfather's feet while he and my parents held their conversations in the living room.  I think Grandpa must have had a subscription to them or something, because there was always a new one whenever I visited, and he would let me take them home.  I lost track of them a long time ago, but they opened my eyes to some of the greatest literature of all time.  Thanks, Grandpa!

I remember my grandpa as a quiet, gentle man who showed nothing but love and respect for everyone he came in contact with. I never heard him raise his voice or speak with anger. He was a great role model.  I hope I can live up to his expectations. 

I thought I would post a few links to some memories my mom put on her blog a couple of years ago that should give you all some more insight into my Grandpa’s life.
My father

Today's feast day

More on Dad on St. Joseph Day 
Life was sure a lot more interesting back then, I think.  Interesting, but harder.  But that's a topic for another day.


Side note:  I’m sure I have a picture of Grandpa somewhere at the house, but I’m writing this in the company apartment, some 300 miles from home.  If one of you out there has a picture to post, be my guest.  Otherwise, I’ll post something on his birthday, which doesn’t immediately come to mind, but I will remember (or look it up)! Lol.

No comments: