When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Saturday, April 25, 2015

The Good Shepherd knows His sheep

About a month ago, Marilyn's mom was cleaning out some closets and came across a couple of WWII vintage army blankets that belonged to my father-in-law.  One was in excellent shape and the other had a slight tear on one edge.  We decided to keep the good one and Marilyn put the other in a bag and asked me to dispose of it somehow.  It was my intention to drop it off at a homeless shelter, because they can always use blankets.  I just never got around to it and it was sitting in my trunk until today.

I was sitting in the office this morning looking out the window as the wind blew and the rain was getting heavy from a cloudburst and I saw him.  You know the guy....he's pushing a shopping cart or carrying a black trash bag and rummaging through trash bins and landscaping looking for recyclables that he can turn into cash.  He is in every city in the country.  Today he crossed threshold into my office.  "Do you have any cans or bottles I can take off of your hands today?", he asked rather pleasantly.  I replied "Sorry, not today!" hoping (I'm sorry to admit) he would beat a hasty retreat back outside where he could "bother" someone else.

He started out the door then turned back toward me and said, "Do you mind if I wait out the storm in here?  It's kind of cold and wet out there and I don't have a coat."  Cue the light bulb over my head.  "Come with me", I said.  I took him out to my car and opened the trunk.  I handed him the army blanket and said, "I've been waiting for you".  He said "Wow!  This is great!  I don't have a blanket.  It's awfully cold some nights."  I also found in my trunk a coat that I don't wear very often because of some tears in the fabric.  I handed that to him as well and said "God bless you, I think this will fit you."

With that, he left....I think with his head held a little higher than when I first met him ten minutes earlier.

I didn't write this to exhort myself.  I wrote it to show what a loving God we have that guides His sheep to those who can supply just what they need when they need it.  All the glory and honor is His.

No comments: