When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Sunday, June 28, 2015

#God'sLoveWins

What really drives me up a wall is the lack of civility rampant since the invention of the internet about EVERY issue under the sun!  It’s really hard to be one of the few people in the world who is pro-gun control but also an advocate for 2nd Amendment rights; an anti-abortion pro-lifer and anti-death penalty advocate; a firm believer in traditional marriage but at the same time a firm believer that I am not to judge anyone’s heart—that is for God alone. By the way, for those who say they are not judging someone's heart but rather their actions, I must say I envy you for your clairvoyance skills.  I simply don't have the power to know what is going on in someone else's heart--the only ONE who does is also empowered with endless mercy, so there is always that.
 
When I heard today’s Gospel (Mark 5:21-43) at Mass this morning, it made me think about how the people who followed Jesus at that time were lucky to see Him in the flesh. I wonder at their faith in this man. I fear I might have been more like Thomas and doubted. Yet today we heard of the woman who knew she only had to touch His clothes and she might be made whole.  We hear Jesus say to the family of the young girl who they believed had died: “Do not be afraid. Just have faith.”

Have faith; that letting go and believing. Have faith; that letting go and letting God in. That letting go can be both scary and freeing. While I might not have witnessed Jesus performing a miracle, I can still have faith that God can make me whole. I can have faith that though there is evil in the world, that “justice is undying.” (Wisdom 1:13-15)  I can have faith when I see the good in others, when I see people working to improve the lives of others who may feel forgotten. In those times and places, I can have faith that God is with all of us, no matter what our political leanings are.

In a world arguing about everything from climate changes to Supreme Court decisions and everything in between, it can be hard to have faith. We have to remember that miracles may be small, but I believe they happen all around us, if we could only see. Our faith should propel us to not only believe but to also act. Let your faith shine. Let God in. Believe that justice is undying, that by doing what you can, where you are, you can make a difference in the world.  Remember that God is in control.  As our Lord and Savior says “Do not be afraid.  Just have faith."

In the last week or so I’ve also been relying heavily on (MT 22:34-40).  In today’s political and theological hotbed, I am reminded of the Pharisees and Sadducees.
Both the Sadducees and the Pharisees were religious parties in Jesus' day. Both were critical of and were criticized by Jesus.

The Sadducees thought of themselves as "conservatives," as the Old Believers. This is because they accepted only the written Law of Moses as authoritative and rejected subsequent revelation. As a result, the Sadducees denied many of the doctrines held by the Pharisees and by Jesus, including the resurrection of the dead, the existence of angels and spirits, and the meting out of rewards and punishment after death. These beliefs were thought by the Sadducees to be Zoroastrian corruptions of the authentic faith of Israel.

The Pharisees, on the other hand, were a lay group more representative of the common man. In addition to the written Law of Moses, the Pharisees accepted as authoritative the rest of what is for us the Old Testament, as well as the "tradition of the elders."
Whereas the Sadducees saw worship at the Temple as the main focus of the Law, the Pharisees believed this to be but one component among many of proper Mosaic observance. It was over the interpretation of the Law and which understanding of it represented the authentic tradition of Israel that Jesus and the Pharisees disagreed.

I guess my point is that Jesus essentially told both factions the same thing:  “You shall love the Lord, your God, with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the greatest and the first commandment.

The second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. The whole law and the prophets depend on these two commandments.”


I’ve decided that I’m just going to not worry, but have faith, pray,love my neighbor and above all love my Merciful God.  And if you don’t like it, tough.  LOL

No comments: