When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Productive waiting......


Waiting is part of life.  The question is, "What do you do while you wait?" --while you wait at the traffic light, at the airport or bus stop, in the doctor's office?  Most of us know that there are fruitful ways to wait (reading a book, entering into conversation, even praying) and empty ways to wait (stewing about how bad it is to wait.) 

The passage of Luke in which Jesus approaches the question of the return of the "Son of Man" focuses our attention on that same question.  While we wait for the Lord to come again, whether that be in his glorious return, or in our personal meeting with him, the best preparation is the living of every moment by simply doing what is expected of us.  Fidelity in the small things--such as care for our family, justice in our relationships and our work, prayerful relating with God--these things well done are the best preparation for our future meeting.  For, we meet the same Lord in these small things well done, as we will see "when he comes."

So, what are you doing, while you wait?

 “Much will be required of the person entrusted with much. And still more will be demanded of the person entrusted with more.” (Luke 12:39-48)

When I read this at mass today I was reminded of how much I have been given and how much I should be giving back to the Lord in his people.  It’s a matter of responsibility.  It’s a matter of how I should “respond to my ability” (See what I did there?)

I have been born in a wonderful country that has fought for its freedoms. A country that is not without flaws…. but a country that is “rich” in so many ways when compared with the world’s population.  Why else would so many from other countries want to come here?  Why would I or anyone else want to deny these blessings to others? 

I have been given an outstanding education, good health, a mind and body that can think and do for others. I have been blessed in so many ways.   

So what direction does this gospel passage give me? And perhaps you, who are as blessed as I am?

At the end of the day, when I review what has gone on in my life, I need to ask myself these questions:

•How focused have I been in reaching out to and doing good for all of God’s people? 

•How well did I contribute to the dignity of persons with whom I live and work?  To those I don't even know?

•How can I do better?

No comments: