When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Thursday, October 18, 2018

St. Grandma, sower of seeds, good and faithful servant

Circa 1918-1925
1987?



A few years ago, Cardinal Timothy Dolan of New York was holding a Q&A session with some young adults.  One of the questions asked was “How can I evangelize—or for that matter even keep my own faith strong—when I have to work among men who have no interest in God in general or religion in particular?”  His answer was (in a nutshell) to show his co-workers and everyone else he encountered in daily life his faith through his joy in knowing Jesus, and that would lead some of them to at least yearn for that same joy.  It’s up to us to plant the seed let the Holy Spirit take over from there to cultivate the conversion to Christ.

This is how I remember my Grandma Batty.  I don’t remember her ever raising her voice or using harsh words.  Whenever I heard her speak of our Catholic faith, which was often, I could feel the joy emanating from her.  What I remember most is her commitment to Christ (first) and her family, her prayers, and her humility.  I credit her and my mother most for introducing me to what a prayer life should look like and what I should strive for.  Grandma had that perfect mix of non-verbal evangelization Cardinal Dolan was speaking of and the ‘hard-core’ evangelization of the disciples Jesus sent out in today’s Gospel.

Today is Grandma’s birthday.  Please say a prayer for her, because I know she is praying for us.  How do I know, you might ask?  It comes from a first-hand experience I only related to my mom once, and she took it in stride as if she would expect nothing less!  To tell the truth it sent chills down my spine when it happened but at the same time strengthened my belief that Jesus will send us what we need when we need it the most.

The night before my brother Tom died, I was in the hospital room alone with him.  He was in and out of sleep and incoherent when he was awake.  He was tossing and turning and moaning and groaning.  I felt so bad for his suffering!  I put his hand in mine, pulled out my rosary and began to pray that comfort would come soon.  I was about half-way through my prayers when Tom raised his arms as if to hug the thin air and asked “Grandma?”   He smiled, laid his head back down on the pillow and fell into a peaceful sleep for the next few hours.  I believe Jesus allowed him to see Grandma so she could comfort him and tell him of the mercy of God.  And I believe He allowed me to witness the event so my unsettled and questioning soul would also find some comfort.  What a gracious, wise, and generous Lord I serve!

Happy Birthday, Grandma!  Pray for me! 

No comments: