When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Monday, November 19, 2018

Discernment is a Gift from God That Needs to be Opened



In today’s passage from Revelation, we are told, ‘blessed are those who listen to this prophetic message and heed what is written… ‘I know your works, your labor, and your endurance…and (you) have not grown weary.’ But further on, ‘Realize how far you have fallen. Repent, and do the works you did at first.’

I don’t know what made me count it, but the word wicked comes up four times in the first reading today.  Other words are imposters, fallen, insolent and sinners.  There was no shortage of evil when Revelation was written and there is plenty of evil now.  At times it seems we live in a dark world.  Every moral standard is tested.  Absolute truth is mocked.  Good is ridiculed and evil is justified.  God is clear that we are to discern good from evil.  We are to embrace good and repent when we have done evil.

Revelation is telling me that God has made a covenant with me and that I have received and opened the gift of faith, to guide my “life- decision- making.” Trusting in what I believe the Holy Spirit is telling my soul takes some endurance, and after a while I do find myself getting tired and complacent. Revelation reminds me to stay vigilant, grateful, and aware.  Also to remember to acknowledge my faith and decision-making as a gift I have received from God. The last passage also reminds me to share my insight with others as if it were the first time I had ever discovered God’s love.






My newest granddaughter, Paloma Sarah, has given me reason to contemplate further on what today’s reading is about.  She is so beautiful.  And I am head over heels in love with her.  I mean, I really, REALLY love her.  Why is that?  How does that happen?  She is two weeks old tomorrow.  I barely know her.  What does she have to offer me?  I mean all she does is eat, poop and cry.  Good grief, anybody can do that.  And yet, I hold her in my arms and look at her and my heart just melts.  I would do anything for her.  I know I would lay my life down for her in a heartbeat.  The same applies to my other two grandchildren and my own children, for that matter.

I wonder, is that how God looks at us?  Like a baby in His arms?  It’s not like God needs us or we have anything special to offer to God.  And yet, God loves us so much He laid down his life for us.  We are God’s children.  Kind of an amazing thought.  It isn’t what we can do for God or what we have to offer God.  It’s about who we are. 

My prayer today is for discernment.  To be able to discern good from evil and to know God’s will.  To know that we are God’s creation, His children and to realize how much He loves us.  Life is always changing, but God’s love for us remains the same.

No comments: