When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Trying to find my way to the sea of glass


On the sea of glass were standing those who had won the victory…and they sang the song of Moses, the servant of God and the song of the Lamb: "Great and wonderful are your works, Lord God almighty. (Revelation 15:2-3)

Those standing on the sea of glass who had won the victory and remained faithful to "The mind of Christ” are the ones not dead but wear the crown of life.

I want to be one of those standing on the “sea of glass”.  Those are the saints in Heaven.  God bless her, Lily often tells me she thinks I’m going to be a saint.  I remind her whenever she says that, that I’m far from it right now.  But am I, really?

I sometimes feel "martyred", not to the point of death, but very worn-down spiritually.  Some days it seems like everything I hear, see and do just tries to block my belief in Christ and take me down the wrong path. Those are the days filled with frustrations and I just want to wrap the scriptures around my head and wear it like a crown.

Pope Francis said recently, “Martyrdom of blood is not the only way to witness to Jesus Christ. . . . There is everyday martyrdom: the martyrdom of honesty, the martyrdom of patience in raising children; the martyrdom of fidelity to love, when it is easier to take another, more hidden path” (Address, June 18, 2016).

Every time we make a choice for someone else over ourselves, we have won a victory. Every time we cooperate with God’s grace instead of giving in to temptation, we have won a victory. We may not see it, but God is shaping our character. He is making us a witness to his power. And he is giving us the victory.

“By your perseverance you will secure your lives.” (Luke 21:19)

We just have to persevere: “Lord, help me to be humble, simple, and willing to follow you no matter how ordinary life may seem.”

No comments: