When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Friday, December 7, 2018

A question of faith


... the blind men approached him and Jesus said to them, "Do you believe that I can do this?" (Matthew 9:28)
If Jesus were to ask me the above question while I sit each evening reciting the rosary, I hope that I could answer, "Yes, Lord, I believe!" But I'm not sure I could honestly reply that way. I'm more likely to reply, "I do believe; help my unbelief!"
I think that this is the true work of prayer, working at belief, practicing belief. Whenever I pray, no matter where I am, I am, now that I ponder it, truly expressing belief, however much my mind doubts. It is truly an act of faith, not of certainty, to sit, day after day, when my mind is mostly asking for help with my unbelief.
It strikes me that having faith means having doubt, but at the same time, hope. If we have no doubt, we have certainty--which I don't believe is faith. So, by practicing my prayer in faith, I am always practicing in confident hope, despite my doubt. 

No comments: