When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Calm down! God is with us!


The simple story of the prelude to Jesus’ birth told in Matthew 1 puts the emphasis on Mary and Joseph, and especially Joseph.

This is a simple story of a man who had a huge dilemma, and how God sent an angel to speak to him in a dream, calming his fears and making his path forward clear to him.

That’s what God does. He calms our fears, if we let him. If we don’t insist on drowning him out with hand-wringing and thoughts of doom and gloom, we will hear God speak to our spirit and lead us forward. Not usually in a dream, although that is entirely possible, but somehow – through a person, a song, a thought, a memory, a prayer – God will get through the clutter and we will recognize his small, still voice, if we are open to it.

Twice already today, I have heard God’s voice speak words of comfort and peace for my soul through two very different people; through the priest at mass during his homily, and through my thoughts of Lily on her 10th birthday.

In his homily, Father John Peter began by reminding us that the Gospel of Matthew begins and ends with the same message of encouragement and comfort.  Matthew 1:23 says “Behold, the virgin shall be with child and bear a son, and they shall name him Emmanuel,” which means “God is with us.”  Then, in the very last sentence of the Gospel of Matthew, as Jesus is ascending into Heaven, He says, “And behold, I am with you always, until the end of the age.” 

As I think of and pray for Liliana who turns 10 years old today, I am aware that she is a part of my life only through the grace of God.  Whenever I start to waver even a little bit in my faith, she is always there to start a conversation that—no matter what the subject matter starts out to be—seems to lead to a conversation of faith, hope, or charity for others.  I know she is in my life to remind me daily to be thankful for all of God’s trust in me to help me guide her and the rest of my family to Him.

We often look at saints like Joseph and think we could never be like them. On one level, this may be true. Joseph played a key role in salvation history, and he did it heroically. But if you boil it down, all Joseph really did was act on what he understood God wanted from him. It wasn’t always easy, but Joseph tried his best to push through.

Like Joseph, if we really have faith, we can see that we CAN trust God. That He WILL be there when we need Him. That he IS at work all around us; quietly, but steadily. And we can let go of our worries and thank God that all is well.

No comments: