When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Who Will Live in the Presence of the Lord?


“He who does justice will live in the presence of the Lord." (Psalm 15, Responsorial Prayer)

The Catechism of the Catholic Church defines justice as working for equity among people. The full definition makes it clear that our faith obliges us to work for justice – it’s not optional.

This is especially true for those who have won “the birth lottery.” They did so when they “picked” loving parents located in peaceful and reasonably prosperous location that gave them a good start in life.  Some call it “white privilege”, but I’m not convinced only the “whites” enjoy the privilege.  I hate it when someone says, “I did it all myself” because no one succeeds on their own. Sure, you can work hard but you had a huge head start if you “picked” parents who could afford to invest in your future.  Justice demands that we recognize our totally random good fortune rather than taking credit for it.

I’ve never considered that I was born into prosperity or wealth.  If anything, my mother and father fell into the lower middle class, bordering on poverty.  But we also didn’t have to flee our home due to ethnic cleansing or spend 12 years in a camp hoping to go somewhere better. We weren’t threatened with deportation because my parents brought me illegally to the U.S. as a small child, looking for a better life.  So, I guess compared to migrants and refugees, I was born into a possibility of prosperity, if not wealth.

I am so proud of the fact that my children have had the opportunities to pursue their passions and Sarah in particular, has chosen to become an immigration attorney.  Her and Tony’s zeal for justice in the world—especially for refugees and migrants—is a cause for immense joy in my life.

It’s interesting to reflect on the difference between justice and charity (in the secular sense) which is wonderful but optional. Charity (in the secular sense) is buying something that I don’t need to help my granddaughter’s summer project or doing something nice for a friend who has temporarily fallen on hard times. On the other hand, justice demands serious action against social evil – like our government’s inaction towards fair and just handling of refugees and migrants.   

When we perform acts of justice, we’re not being noble.  As the psalmist reminds us, we’re just trying to become worthy to “live in the presence of the Lord.”


No comments: