When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Sunday, September 22, 2019

Sound advice


“First of all, I ask that supplications, prayers, petitions, and thanksgivings be offered for everyone, for kings and for all in authority, that we may lead a quiet and tranquil life in all devotion and dignity.” (1 Timothy 2: 1-2)

I think it’s interesting that Paul says to pray for everyone, then takes it even further by singling out kings and all in authority, as though they are in extra need of attention.  He doesn’t say to pray just for those whose politics we agree with or who we think are great people.  He says everyone.  Donald Trump?  Check.  Joe Biden?  Check.  Mike Pence?  Check.  Nancy Pelosi?  Check.  Vladimir Putin?  Check.  My worthless, no good neighbor who can’t stop his dog from barking at all hours of the night?  Check.  That so and so boss who passed me over for a promotion or is always on my case?  Yep.  Everyone!

I had such a boss one time.  He was very egotistical and demanding.  He also got a special thrill from belittling those that worked for him, including me.  He did everything he could to stifle my advancement and made no attempt to hide the fact he was out to either demote or fire me.  Since I had a reputation for following company policy, he never could find anything to justify either of those.  So he would set unreasonable goals for me that were nearly impossible to comply with.  I found myself hating him.  I didn’t like the feeling.  I told my oldest brother about my concerns and he shocked me with his simple solution.  “Pray for him.”, he said.  “Let him know you are praying for him.  Even if he doesn’t appreciate it, your own heart will start to soften for him and his actions toward you won’t matter anymore!”  I took his advice, and within days the prayers led to ‘a quiet and tranquil life’ at work and at home.

A bonus to following Paul’s advice is that it also leads to a real desire for mercy and forgiveness.  I can truly say I hold no grudges or malice toward anyone in my life.  I simply have no room in my heart for hate.    

“To pray is to stand spiritually before God in our heart in glorification, thanksgiving, supplication, and contrite penitence.  Everything must be spiritual.  The root of all prayer is devout fear of God; from this comes belief about God and faith in Him, submission of oneself to God, hope in God, and cleaving to Him with the feeling of love, in oblivion of all created things.  When prayer is powerful, all these spiritual feelings and movements are present in the heart with corresponding vigor.”  (Theophan the Recluse)

Simply put, we must pray because prayer is tied to the whole point of our existence, which is union with God.  The Father teaches us this in the Old Testament.  With just a quick look at the Psalms alone we find a juxtaposition of the life of the godly with the life of the ungodly relative to prayer.  We are exhorted to meditate day and night.

“Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of the troublesome; but his will is in the law of the Lord, and in His law he meditates day and night.  He shall be like a tree planted by streams of waters, that produces its fruit in its season; and his leaf shall not wither, and whatever he does shall prosper…for the Lord knows the way of the righteous, but the way of the ungodly shall perish”.  (Psalm 1)

We know that prayer is tied to the whole purpose of our existence because the Son taught us to pray in the New Testament.  First, even as God, He set the example for us by praying.  “Now in the morning, having risen a long while before daylight, He went out and departed to a solitary place; and there He prayed.”  (Mark 1:35)  Second, He showed us how to pray.  Not only did He find a solitary place in order to be free from distraction, but He also did it early in the morning to demonstrate that prayer should be our highest priority and the conduit through which we help others.

We know that prayer is tied to the whole purpose of our existence because the Holy Spirit is with us to this day, teaching us all we need to know through prayer.  “These things I have spoken to you while being present with you.  But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name.  He will teach you all these things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I have said to you.  Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you.  Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.” (John 14:25-27)

No comments: