When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Friday, September 20, 2019

Thank God for women!


“For the love of money is the root of all evils, and some people in their desire for it have strayed from the faith and have pierced themselves with many pains.” ( 1 Tm 6:2c-12)

My first inclination was to write a meditation on this verse today.  It’s one of those Bible verses that everyone knows, but most don’t want to attribute it to the Bible because they’ll probably have to admit that they are one of those who has ‘strayed from the faith’ in pursuit of wealth.

But then I read the Gospel (Luke 8: 1-3):

“Jesus journeyed from one town and village to another, preaching and proclaiming the good news of the Kingdom of God.

Accompanying him were the Twelve and some women who had been cured of evil spirits and infirmities, Mary, called Magdalene, from whom seven demons had gone out, Joanna, the wife of Herod’s steward Chuza, Susanna, and many others who provided for them out of their resources.”

It’s two sentences; the first telling us that Jesus was proclaiming the Good News.  The second sentence is longer and reminded me of the importance of women not only in furthering Jesus’ mission, but the importance of the women in my own life. 

Thank God for the women in my life, starting with my mother Angela and my wife’s mother “GPat”, without whom Marilyn nor I would have life.

Thank God for Marilyn, who He blessed me with to teach me how to be a loving husband. 

Thank God for my daughters Alicia and Sarah, whom He sent to teach me how to be a loving father.

Thank God for my granddaughters Liliana, Josephine, and Paloma.  I am absolutely convinced He blessed me with them to teach me about pure joy and to show me the face of innocence.   

Thank God for my sisters-in-law; my brothers’ wives Sylvia, Marilyn, Janie, Wendy and Dottie, and my wife’s sisters Carolyn and Vickie, all of whom have supported me more times than I can list here.

And of course, I thank God for OUR Mother, Mary, the Mother of Jesus.  She's put in more than a couple of good words to her Son for me over the years. 

Thanks to all of you, ladies!  I can't begin to tell you how much I appreciate all of you!  Well, I can BEGIN, I just can't finish!

No comments: