When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Wednesday, November 13, 2019

God is so Good to me!


God is so good to me!  My entire life has been filled with His simple, yet profound encouragements and affirmations given to me when I need them.  And sometimes when I needed them but didn’t know I needed them! 

Take today, for instance.  I made the decision a few days ago that I would start taking a walk every day to try and lose some of my ‘baby fat’ that’s taken me 66 years to put on, and hopefully get to the point where I can join Marilyn and girls on their frequent longer walks and hikes.  I told myself I would start out easy; maybe walk around the block at first, then gradually work my way up to a pace and distance equal to what Marilyn does.

But those goals were still not incentive enough for me.  So I thought it would be a great time to pray the Rosary, as well.  I can get into some pretty intense meditations on the ‘Mysteries’ of the Rosary, and it is a great way to keep my mind off the aches and pains that creep in quickly when I walk too much.

 Getting back to today.  I was meditating on the 3rd Glorious Mystery; The descent of the Holy Spirit upon the Apostles.  I recalled that the reception of the Holy Spirit was the beginning of their mission of evangelization, which led me to my own mission—my blog.  I have been making two posts every day this month; one meditation on the daily readings at Mass, and the other pertaining to the month that we celebrate the saints and all souls, for that matter. 

My first post was already written and ready for proofreading and pasting onto my page.  But I had no clue what my 2nd article would be, so I off-handedly said “I could use a little inspiration myself, Lord!” That’s when I got my encouragement and inspiration for this post.

Remember, I was only going to walk around the block today.  I was so deep in thought and contemplation that I ended up walking around the next block as well!  When I made my request to the Holy Spirit for inspiration, I was two blocks from home.  I happened to look down at the sidewalk at that moment and I saw the two names etched in the cement:  Bob and Dick.

For those of you who don’t know, my two older brothers were Bob and Dick.  If the etched names were “Robert” and “Richard”, I don’t think I would have paid as much attention to them.  It was the familial nicknames that caught my attention and gave me pause to thank God for His attention to me.  “A hah!”, I thought, “I’m supposed to remember Bob and Dick in my blog tonight!”

When I sat down to write though, I came to a different conclusion.  I’ve written about Bob and Dick multiple times in this forum, and I pray for them daily—and for all of my departed family, as I ask you to, as well, but  I don’t think that’s what God intended me to do tonight.  I think He is asking me to remind all of you that He is listening, He hears you, and He responds to you—if you’ll just open your ears and heart to His voice.

No comments: