When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Thursday, December 26, 2019

I hope Jesus stands for me!


In the reading from Acts, Stephen is “... filled with the Holy Spirit, witnessing his belief in Jesus, sent by God and now standing at the right hand of God” and, “...working great wonders and signs among the people”. (Acts 7:55)   However, some of the listeners were infuriated by Stephen’s proclamations and challenges to the people, regarding their lack of living out the call of the prophets to turn to God and live out their belief.  Their anger and frustration resulted in stoning Stephen to death.

We read in the gospels and we recite in our creed about Jesus being seated at the right hand of the Father, but in this instance, He is standing and not seated.  What a glorious image that the King of kings stands to welcome His first martyr and I wonder if He has stood every time that He has received one who gave it all for the kingdom.

I am reminded of the time my mom visited my sister-in-law Marilyn shortly after my brother Bob passed away and went to confession with the priest who was also Bob’s pastor.  When she sat down in front of Father, he stated he recognized her, but he didn’t think she was a member of his parish.  She told him that she was Bob’s mother.  He told her that he would never forget Bob, and that Bob was a big help to him when he first arrived as the pastor and whenever anything was needed, my brother was right there, whether he could walk that day or not.  He would find a way to serve his church community in any way he could.  Mom said it was great for a parent to hear such good things about a child of theirs.  I know the feeling.  She said that Marilyn cried when she heard the story.  I must admit I did, too.  It makes me wonder if Jesus stood to welcome Bob, as well.  We can hope.

The Gospel (Matthew 10:17-22) continues the theme of violence, as Jesus warns his followers, “Brother will hand over brother to death, and the parents their children; children will rise up against parents and have them put to death. You will be hated by all because of my name.”

Global peace is something for which we all fervently pray and hope yet how do our national and international policies promote the building of the kinship of God?

Where and when is each of us called to announce, through our day-to-day actions, as Bob did, that God is in our midst...and how do we respond when challenged by the perspectives of others?

On this Feast Day dedicated to my namesake St. Stephen, I pray might live a life more like his; a life focused on sharing the message of salvation and love extended to us by our heavenly Father.  A life that keeps Jesus at the center, a life that isn’t dictated by my perceived comforts and discomforts.  My prayer is that I would be granted the grace and courage necessary to share Jesus’ message of love, hope and salvation with all those I am blessed to encounter throughout this life.

No comments: