When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Thursday, January 23, 2020

"That they might be with him..."


The LORD bless you and keep you!  The LORD let his face shine upon you and be gracious to you!  The LORD look upon you kindly and give you peace!

In my career as a “Senior Manager”, it was my duty and privilege to train new managers to essentially own and operate their own ‘stores’.  After several years of fine-tuning, I found the best way to train was ‘hands on’; in other words, I would train through my example.  I would perform the duties of the manager while the new manager worked the same shifts and performed the same tasks standing near me, that they might be with me and I might send them forth to train their own teams.  Based on my evaluation of their understanding of policy and procedures, I would determine when they were ready to take over the authority and I would fade into a support role.  The men and women I trained were a pretty diverse group of individuals, with their own strengths and weaknesses that I would attempt to identify so that I could either applaud them or instruct them in how to become more successful.  Very often, I learned more than I taught.  But one thing was certain; those that did not follow company policies and procedures (“commandments”) did not last very long in the position.  It seems my approach was not an original technique; as it turns out, Jesus used it long before I did!  

“He appointed Twelve, whom he also named Apostles, that they might be with him and he might send them forth to preach and to have authority to drive out demons . . .”  (Mark 3:14-15)

As I get to know the men named by Jesus to be His Apostles, I am impressed by their diversity and somewhat surprised by their less-than-faithful performances.  Peter’s denial, Thomas’ doubts, and Judas’ betrayal all remind me that the Lord did not choose perfect men without fault.

But in the brief line from Mark’s gospel quoted above (Mark 3:13-19), we are told of the common preparation that Jesus offered all of them before they were sent forth: Jesus called them “that they might be with him.”  A period of apprenticeship preceded their missioning.  It was necessary that they “be with” Jesus, watching Him, listening to Him, observing His way with people, before heading out on mission.

For us who desire to place our lives at the Lord’s service, this simple line from Mark’s gospel cautions us not to allow zeal for mission to pull us away from an attentive “being with” Jesus in prayer.  We, too, need to “be with Him” before going out to serve “in His name.”

So in this reflection I have to ask myself some tough questions.  How am I doing in that delicate balance between giving and receiving?  Do I regularly listen in prayer?  Do I take the time to “be with Him” or do I too quickly run to do good in His name without waiting to learn how He wants me do serve Him?

No comments: