When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Could it be any simpler?


“I have not come to abolish, but to fulfill.” (Matthew 5:17)   Jesus didn’t come into the world to do something negative but to fulfill a positive mission from Our Father.  He came to be the living embodiment of what the fulfillment of His Will would be like.  He didn’t come to lay waste to the law and the prophets, but to explain them and have them make sense.

The laws, as Jesus points out, are all about unconditional love—love of God, love of neighbor.  Any time the law appears to get in the way of this, it’s because we have failed in our understanding of the law. We need, then, only look to Jesus who taught the supremacy of love and deep compassion.

Jesus is the fulfillment of the law, of our lives, of our hopes and of our dreams.  He is the embodiment of love, compassion, and mercy.  He teaches us that if we are to find heaven on Earth, we are to do so by living the example of fulfillment that He has given.

Several years ago, when my granddaughter Lily was about 4 years old, she showed me an example of the unconditional love that Jesus speaks about in the Gospel.  It took me by surprise, although I don’t know why; Christ Himself said "Believe me, unless you become like little children again, you shall not enter the kingdom of heaven.” (Matthew 18:3)   For some reason, children get it.  Unfortunately, later on, some of them somehow "learn" otherwise. 

On that day Lily said, "Oompah, let's watch TV together!  That's what friends do!"  After chuckling out loud, I responded affirmatively and tuned to the station she wanted to watch.  It was not, however, the program she intended seeing.  She told me so saying, "I want the show with the REAL kids playing!"  I told her that was not the show that was scheduled right then, but she was persistent.  In my frustration, I said "Lily, what do you want me to do?  I don't control the station.  I can't make them play what you want when you want!"  To which she replied "But you're OOMPAH!  YOU CAN DO ANYTHING!"  She had so much unconditional trust in me!  I felt pride at first, then inadequacy.  It made me realize the type of love I should have for God, our Father in Heaven, but it also reminded me that I often take His love for granted.

Lent is an opportunity for us to reconnect with the principles of life – of love – and of mercy.  It is a season inviting us to something deeper – we are called to live the Ten Commandments through the lens of the Beatitudes.  To be deeply present to God and to one another.  Lent is a time to allow God to lift us out of our old ruts, help us refocus and reframe our lenses so that we can be channels of healing, opportunity and possibility.  So that we can accompany and companion those tempted to shrink from their crosses.  So that we can walk with deeper reverence, respect and compassion.  The fulfillment of the law that Jesus promised.

No comments: