When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Friday, March 27, 2020

What a Lent we're having!


It seems to me that the Gospel of John (7:40-53) that I read today centers around the questions ‘who is Jesus, where did he come from?  What is he about?  Is he from Galilee or Bethlehem?  Is he a prophet or the Christ?  Many asked out of curiosity, some were afraid and wanted to arrest him.  Others wanted to treat him justly and give him a chance to explain himself.

We are in week three(?!) of Covid-19 with no real end in sight.  It’s a time in which we’re being called upon to trust one another, our leaders in church and government as well as community and family.  Just as in the time of Jesus, people are asking, “Where is God?” and “How can this crisis be happening?”  As each day passes, and new trials begin, I find myself becoming more overwhelmed and worried about when and how it will all end.  Some days I find I struggle to find the words to pray, other days, my spirit is filled with words of wisdom and comfort!  I need to remind myself not to spend so much time telling God how bad everything is going, but, rather, to remember that God is bigger than all of these tribulations, crisis and uncertainty!  In other words, trust in God, God never fails us! (Joshua 21:45 and many, many others)

This bigger God shows me the beauty of nature on my daily walks; it is Spring, after all!  Some of the sidewalk ‘art’ I am finding more and more of also give me a sense of hope that had been slipping away of late.  This bigger God gives me reason to laugh and smile as I meet (from a safe distance) neighbors who are also taking walks to clear the cobwebs of isolation, or when I read uplifting social media posts.  This bigger God walks with me as I recite the Rosary (twice) while on my walks.  He sits with me as I watch the various devotions being streamed online by our local parish as well as the Vatican, and I hear the still small voice of God whisper to me, ‘come unto me and rest’! (Matthew 11:28) And, of course, He is always with me when I read the Scriptures.

Lent looks and feels different these days.  At the beginning of this season, we were encouraged to focus on three attitudes:  Generosity (‘almsgiving’), Openness & Emptiness so God can fill us (sacrifice) and Silence to spend time with God (prayer).  I began Lent determined to cultivate these attitudes.  Some days I was more successful than others.  Then along came COVID-19 and it has been a constant attitude adjustment.  The attitude of Generosity has led me to look at how much ‘stuff’ I have that I really don’t need!  The attitude of Openness and Emptiness is leading me to step back and lower my expectations of self and others and find in the emptiness room for new growth and experiences.  Silence can be challenging for some, but I’m finding a sense of solace and peace that feed my soul in unexpected ways!

The days and weeks ahead promise to hold different experiences for us all.  Some will be painful, but others will bring peace and joy.  The one certain thing we can count on is that our loving God is walking with us during this time.  Together we’re called to persevere in faith and trust and prayer.  (Romans 12:12)

No comments: