When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Tuesday, June 2, 2020

You gotta start somewhere


After Pentecost Sunday, we return to ‘Ordinary’ Time in the Church for our Scripture readings and reflections.  This means we leave the Gospel of John for a while (until Advent) and continue where we left off before Lent with the Gospel of Mark (12:13-17).  In this time of Covid-19 and the racial unrest and rioting we’re in, these days are nothing close to ‘ordinary’.  Yet somehow, the Holy Spirit, through my reflection on His Holy Scriptures, has once again allowed me to search my conscience and try to improve myself.  I hope I live up to His expectations.  

“Teacher, we know that you are a truthful man and that you are not concerned with anyone’s opinion. You do not regard a person’s status but teach the way of God in accordance with the truth.”  Mark 12:14

This statement was made by some of the Pharisees and Herodians who were sent to “ensnare” Jesus in His speech.  They acted in a sneaky and cunning way to draw Jesus in.  They were trying to get Him to speak in opposition to Caesar so that they could get Him in trouble with the Roman authorities.  But interestingly, what they said of Jesus is quite true and is a great virtue. 

They say two things that highlight Jesus’ virtues of humility and sincerity: 1) “You are not concerned with anyone’s opinion;” 2) “You do not regard a person’s status.”   Of course they went on to then try to trick Him into breaking Roman law.  Jesus didn’t not fall for their trick and outsmarted them in the end.

However, these virtues are good for us to reflect upon because we should strive to have them alive in our own lives.  First, we should not be concerned with others’ opinions.  But this simple statement isn’t so simple; it must be properly understood.  Sure, it’s important to listen to others and to consult them and to be open minded.  Other people’s insights can be crucial to making good decisions in life.  But what we should avoid is the danger of allowing others to dictate our actions out of fear.  Sometimes the “opinions” of others are negative and wrong.  We can all experience peer pressure in various ways.  Jesus never gave in to the false opinions of others nor did He allow the pressure of those opinions to change how He acted.

Secondly, they point out that Jesus does not allow the “status” of another to influence Him.  Again, this is a virtue.  What we have to know is that all people are equal in the mind of God.  A position of power or influence does not necessarily make one person more correct than another.  What’s important is the sincerity, integrity, and truthfulness of each person.  Jesus exercised this virtue perfectly.

I reflected today upon whether these words could also be said about me; Do I strive to live a life of integrity and humility?  I thought I do.  But if I do, why do I struggle with coming to terms with the fact that I am the recipient of ‘white privilege’ and somewhat blind to systemic racism in our country and in our world? 

Yesterday I posed the following question in one of the comment boxes on a social media post to someone who described herself as a ‘black Catholic millennial’:  “As a ‘privileged white male’, what can I do to help end racism?”   I received my reply today.  Her answer was something I believe I have done my entire life.  But upon deeper reflection today, maybe I haven’t been ‘loud’ enough.

Her reply: “I think the best thing that white people can do for us minorities is to teach their children to LOVE ALL RACES just as Christ does.  Racism is something that is passed down from generation to generation, and we need to stop the cycle.  We minorities cannot do this on our own.  So thank you for asking.  If you ever catch your family members or friends engaging in racist words and/or behaviors, speak up and shut it down.  God Bless.”

I admit I haven’t spoken up loudly enough when I’ve seen racist acts or heard racial slurs in the past.  I’ve tended to just ignore them, hoping they will go away.  I’m beginning to understand that it’s not enough.  I also understand that I may offend some of my friends and relatives by pointing out their racism when I see it in the future, but for the sake of my soul and those of my children and grandchildren, and out of love for my neighbor, I will be silent no more.  It may not be much, but it’s a start.

No comments: