When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Saturday, July 25, 2020

A calming mantra


A pattern of nostalgia for pre-pandemic days has become very present for me and for several people I encounter.  Phrases like “when things get back to normal” or “hopefully we can all get together in the spring” are common and leave me feeling a bit heartbroken. 

King Solomon humbly asked God for “an understanding heart to judge your people and to distinguish right from wrong.” (1 Kings 3:5, 7-12) He didn’t pray for a specific outcome but put his trust in God to give him the wisdom he would need to be a servant leader.  This reminds me of the old adage to be careful what I wish for.  How might the future look if I ask God to help me see ways that I might build an authentic connection with others rather than wishing for a specific social event to take place?

A calming mantra for these unsettling times is in Paul’s letter to the Romans (Romans 8:28-30).  “We know that all things work for good for those who love God, who are called according to his purpose.”  Rather than be nostalgic for the days before the pandemic or consumed by worry about the health and livelihood of my friends, Paul invites me to explore those thoughts and responses that stand in the way of my choosing the best way to serve God.  I trust if I can “loosen my grip” God will invite me to explore ways I can live my faith that I had never before imagined.

As we look to a future in the uncertainty created by the pandemic, we’re called to face the reality of a history of systemic racism.  We can’t face these challenges without God’s steadfast love.  And as God helps us accept the reality of pandemic life, I pray we can all find energy to strive for social justice in our communities.


No comments: