When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Monday, July 20, 2020

His will is Love


“And pointing to his disciples, he said, here are my mother and my brothers! For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother.”


One of the few good things about life under Covid 19 is that it is making some of us appreciate people we might have formerly treated as invisible.


My family is staying at a resort on the coast for a couple of days to escape both the valley heat and the stress of living with all of the necessary restrictions these trying times are necessitating.  One of the perks of resort living is that if you want to get to the beach, pool, or anywhere else on the property and you don’t feel like walking, you can call the office and they will dispatch a golf cart to pick you up, along with all the amenities you want to take with you.   The men and women who drive these carts always have great personalities and are very patient if you’re not quite ready to go when they arrive to pick you up. 


We used the service a few times today, and my 4-year-old granddaughter put into action what Jesus says in the Gospel I chose for my daily reflection (Matthew 12: 46-50).


This gospel challenges us to treat all humans as members of our family showing love, compassion, and respect.  


Little Josephine, after each of our golf cart “rides”, went out of her way to thank the drivers.  The gratitude wasn’t just the perfunctory “Thanks”, but an effusive, “Thank you very much for helping our family get to the beach and back!  We had lots of fun!  Thank you!!!”  


It was so adorable, but also a wake up call for me.  I can’t remember the last time I thanked the grocery store clerk, the barber, or the waiter with anywhere near the exuberance my granddaughter displayed today. 


Another example of showing love and respect for others in this time of pandemic is to practice social distancing and wear masks so that we don’t harm others by potentially spreading the virus to those who are most vulnerable.  

No comments: