When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Thursday, July 30, 2020

Save me from a lack of faith


Jesus’ one-liner response to the people of His hometown of Nazareth who were getting angry and jeering at Him out of ignorance, jealousy, envy, or maybe even a lack of credibility due to their familiarity with the ‘carpenter’s son and his brothers and sisters’: “A prophet is not without honor except in his native place and his own house.”  (Matthew 13:54-58)

In other words, Jesus was saying, “Look, I know I’m a prophet.  And I know many people from all over are extremely impressed by what I know and do.  But this is what always happens in someone’s hometown and family: lack of credibility, jealousy, ultimately lack of faith.” The expression ‘familiarity breeds contempt’ came to my mind immediately, but His “lack of faith” statement is what I found myself reflecting on today.  

“And he did not work many mighty deeds there because of their lack of faith.”  As I see it, we can understand this line in two ways.  First, Jesus was punishing them by choosing not to perform mighty deeds because they lacked faith.  I think this is the way most people usually understand this passage. But I have a real problem envisioning Jesus to be spiteful.  Instead, a second way might actually have merit; that Jesus could only perform mighty deeds if others showed great faith!  I don’t know for sure which is the case, and I don’t intend to limit Jesus so much as suggest that we have a significant role to play in doing God’s work.  The “mighty deeds” of Jesus almost always involve great faith and participation from others: for example, raising Lazarus from the dead (John 11: 1-44), healing the woman who was bleeding and touched Jesus’ garment (Matthew 9:20–22, Mark 5:25–34, Luke 8:43–48), healing the paralytic lowered through the roof by his friends(Matthew 9:2-8, Mark 2:1-12, Luke 5:17-26), and Peter’s walking on water (Matthew 14:32–33).

What “mighty deeds” can we help Jesus to accomplish today?  Will we be able to accept and have faith in the ways Jesus works through a ‘prophet’ in our own family or hometown in order to accomplish these mighty deeds?  “Let the heaven and the earth praise him, the seas and whatever moves in them!” (Psalm 69:35)


No comments: