When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Thursday, August 27, 2020

Keep walking


 

Saint Paul tells the Thessalonians to “conduct yourselves to please God” and, “not to take advantage of or exploit a brother or sister”. (I Thessalonians 4:1-8)   The Psalms say, “The heavens proclaim his justice.” (Psalms 97:1, 2, 5-6, 10, 11-12)   And in Matthew, Christ tells the parable of the ten virgins.  Five are prepared and five aren’t ready for the arrival of the bridegroom.  Jesus warns us, “...stay awake, for you know neither the day nor the hour.” (Matthew 25:1-13)

We’re living in trying times, no doubt about it, but it’s also true that these times can include moments of grace and hope.  In retirement and throughout this period of semi-isolation I’m finding the pace that allows Jesus’ words, ‘stay awake’ to take on more meaning!  Each new day brings another example of God’s beauty and grace.  Some of these profound moments include prayer and reflection while on my daily walks; the beauty of God’s creation in cloud formations or sunsets on the ocean; great discussions with my granddaughter Liliana about her life and aspirations; visits from my two youngest grandchildren, either in person or over FaceTime during this pandemic.

To try to be like Jesus is a life-long task.  It isn’t something that just all of a sudden happens.  It starts with a relationship with Christ.  And then it requires work—lots of work.  I liken it to my recent experience in trying to get physically active again so I can spend more quality time with my family when we go places.  I started by walking to the end of the block first; then a couple of days later I was walking around the block, then a mile, then two, and now three.  As I get more involved in my walks, my daughter helps me prepare to ‘do it right’ by getting me the right walking shoes, a special watch to monitor and record my progress, even a water bottle to carry with me to stay hydrated.  Every day I walk, I feel like I’m getting stronger and more enthusiastic for the next day, the next experience, the next adventure.  

We should prepare for our religious experience in the same way.  We need to go out and buy the oil that will keep the lamps burning as we await the Bridegroom.  This oil has many ingredients: compassion, kindness, thoughtfulness, prayer, good works that support those around us, a focus on the eternal while working in the present to help those around us. The oil is supplied by God in abundance and we need do nothing other than be willing to accept it.  This oil will keep our light burning strong in a world that is growing progressively darker. We can await the Bridegroom and light the world with the light that God gives us. All we need to be is willing and ready.

One grace builds upon another.  When we take a deep breath and turn to God in our hearts, even momentarily, the choices we make have more potential for being grace filled.  When we reflect upon the depths of the mystery of the suffering, death and resurrection of Jesus, the mystery of death isn’t frightening but freeing.  When we plead for the grace to love our spouse, our children, our parents, our friends, and our colleagues more selflessly, all kinds of new graces flow forth.  When we consciously gather the struggles, conflicts, joys, and desires of our week, they prepare for a Sunday celebration so much fuller than just going through the motions to “fulfill our obligation."   When we open our hands and ask for a growing desire to be servant, to hear the cry of the poor, to let our life reflect the coming of God's reign, then God will provide plenty of oil for a torch that is Light itself.

May we be like the wise virgins who were prepared to welcome the bridegroom with full lamps as we continue to journey through life awake and aware of God’s many blessings that surround us.

No comments: