When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Tuesday, August 25, 2020

No place to hide, so do what is right

 


In the Gospel the last couple of days Jesus has been angry, saying, "Woe to you," and calling the Pharisees hypocrites.  The harshness of His words reveals how serious it is to be a hypocrite.  (Matthew 23:27-32)

Until living a virtuous life becomes habitual, we should all worry about being hypocrites. It means having self-knowledge and requires us to be on our toes. We must be careful that we don't start slipping into doing what seems and looks good, instead of being good.

As I reflected on the words “Woe to you” today, I recalled some childhood memories.  Mom used to have a “Woe to you” expression of her own; “Wait until your father gets home!”  Just the threat of having to face Dad (who was the kindest, gentlest man I’ve ever known) was enough to make me realize the seriousness of my offense.   And there was no getting out of it.  There was always some sort of punishment when I did face Dad, but it was always fair, just, and merciful.  I like to think I always came out of my punishments wiser and stronger.

Our inner attitude and our prayer should be inspired by Psalm 139.  “Where can I go from your spirit? From your presence where can I flee. If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I sink to the nether world, you are present there.” There’s no escaping the watchful eyes of God.  So it’s better to set an example of our Christian beliefs than to be made an example of what happens when we don’t practice virtue.

Virtue can be accomplished only with God's grace and acceptance of the means He provides.  So we should take what He has freely offered: His Sacred Word, His Precious Body and Blood, His Divine Mercy and Forgiveness, and all of the Sacraments.  May this grace help us be authentic followers of Christ, the perfect example of virtue.

No comments: