When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Thursday, September 24, 2020

One woman's answer to Jesus' question

 


It was easy for the Apostles to answer for others when Christ asked them, “Who do the crowds say that I am?”  They appeared to give their responses freely and willingly with great zeal and eagerness to please Jesus.  However, His next question, “But who do you say that I am?” seemed to silence the group, except for Peter who responded, “The Christ of God.” (Luke 9:18-22)

God asks each and every one of us the same exact question, “Who do you say that I am?”  How do you respond to such a personalized question?  Because God works in our lives in very personal ways, we must answer this question very personally and intimately with Him.

As I reflected on this particular question today, I hoped I could answer correctly as quickly and certainly as Peter did, but I found out that I’m too often in the ‘silent’ group.  Some of the questions I asked myself were:

How long have I been in my relationship with God?  Do I really know Him on a personal level?  How well do I know His mind?  Do I know how He works specifically with me in my life?  How does He communicate with me?  What does God’s voice sound like in my life?  We’re able to recognize the speech patterns and inflections of the voices of our loved ones. We’re able to hear their voice and know who they are without seeing their face.  So, can I do this with God?  When He speaks to me, can I recognize the voice of God?  And am I able to point His voice out to others?  And finally, do I point His voice out with humble confidence?  Or is it timidity?

The thought-provoking image in the header today shows one way in which an extremely talented and spirit-filled woman answers our Lord’s question in her own life.  Lissa Romell is the Administrator at St. Vincent Strambi Community in Chicago, Illinois.

Starting today, let’s pray to have the wisdom and perseverance to know the Lord and know how He works in each of our lives, just as Peter did.  After all, “There is an appointed time for everything, and a time for everything under the heavens.”  (Ecclesiastes 3:1-11) And now is that time!

No comments: