When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Tested



 Proverbs tell us that “every word of God is tested,” and we should “add nothing to his words.”  In addition, there’s a plea to put “falsehood and lying far from me.”(Proverbs 30:5-9)   The Psalms teach us that “Your word, O Lord, is a lamp for my feet.” (Psalms 119:29-163)   In the Gospels, Jesus gives the twelve apostles “power and authority over all demons and to cure diseases” and sends them “to proclaim the Kingdom of God and to heal the sick.” (Luke 9:1-6)

As I reflect on these passages, I’m reminded of an event in my life that occurred several years ago.  I was coming out of a restaurant after dinner when I encountered a rather disheveled young man who asked me for a few dollars to get something to eat.  I thought to myself, “Why not? I’ll pay for his dinner then leave.  It’s only about 10 bucks.  Maybe he won’t bother anyone else if I help him.”  I now realize that that was a self-serving excuse to talk myself into doing something I ought to do.  I turned around and opened the door for him saying, “After you, sir.”  He thanked me and we walked up to the counter to pay for his meal.  I told the girl I was going to pay for a meal and a drink for my new-found friend.

She smiled at me then excused herself and instead of ringing up the sale, she got on the intercom to call the manager.   When the manager arrived, he didn’t greet me but gave me the once-over and said to my guest in an angry tone, “I told you you’re not allowed in here! Please leave!”  Then the manager, without even acknowledging me went back to whatever he was doing before the cashier called him, leaving her to explain to me what was happening.

She said, “I’m sorry, but he was caught in here just a little while ago trying to steal some food.”  I was very tempted to point out that the reason he was stealing food was probably because he was hungry and broke, but I didn’t.  I merely “shook the dust from my feet” (Luke 9:5) and asked her, “Is there somewhere else in this shopping center where we can get this young man a meal?”

She shrugged her shoulders apologetically and shook her head no.  I told my new acquaintance that I noticed some fast-food establishments on the other side of the shopping center and asked him if he would mind if I bought him a dinner at one of those places.  Obviously, he’d never heard the expression ‘beggars can’t be choosers’, because he said, “I was hoping for a Mexican meal.”  I replied that we might get lucky, but I was a little pressed for time, so it would have to be whatever we found.  We started walking towards the restaurants.  He asked me, “You want to walk over there?”  I may have felt generous, but not careless.   Giving a car ride to a total stranger who you know has recently tried to steal and has the smell of alcohol on his breath is not a prudent decision.  I said, “Yeah.  I need to walk off my dinner.”  He replied that he understood, although I could tell that he didn’t.

He asked my name.  I told him my first name.  He introduced himself, but I don’t remember it.  I remember that he touched my shoulder and said something about giving me positive energy or something and asking me if I felt it.  I remember wondering if I had bitten off more than I could chew with this “dinner guest.”  Pun intended.

He asked if I was ‘religious’, and I told him that I’m Catholic.  He grew silent for a few minutes until we got into the restaurant.  When we got to the front counter, he asked the clerk if they had any Mexican food.  “Nope, just hamburgers and chicken sandwiches, French fries and drinks,” came the reply.  He asked me what he should order.  I told him he could get whatever he wanted.  He said, “You’re the only person who has talked to me like a human being or helped me in a long time, and you didn’t hesitate to use your credit card.  God bless you!”  I thanked him and said, “I’m just glad I could help”.   We said our goodbyes and I left him to enjoy what could possibly have been his first real meal in some time.  As I reflected on the episode that evening, I was so filled with gratitude that Christ had let me see Him face to face, and that He had also let the needy young man see Him (in me), as well.

I also thought about the manager of the restaurant that had kicked him out earlier.  Had he followed the “tested words” of the Lord?   Is it possible that what on the surface appeared to be misbehavior (or criminal activity) by the young man was actually an attempt at survival?   It’s tough sometimes, but we must recognize that what we see as bad in others is only the behavior and not necessarily the intention.  Perhaps we can use the Psalm as a prayer for ourselves and for those who don’t seem to follow the words of the Lord.  “Your word, O Lord, is a lamp for my feet.  Help me to follow your word, to be a model for others, and to endeavor to understand those for whom your word is not a lamp for their feet. Amen.”

 It’s a good reminder that we need to let our words and actions reveal our hearts and He who dwells in them. 

No comments: