When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Friday, October 23, 2020

A God of second chances

 


There were a lot of times in my career when I was asked to do something that made no sense whatsoever to me.  I couldn’t see the benefit to me or for my customers.  That is, until I realized that my assignment was just one piece of a larger plan to improve our service, and lead to better profits and of course a pay raise for me.  The tasks assigned to me were unique to my specific talents and skill set according to my boss, and the only one who knew the whole plan was him.  Sometimes, it was easy to accomplish my tasks quickly and proficiently because the instructions were clear-cut, and all I had to do was follow directions.  But at other times, I really had a hard time being productive because I couldn’t clearly see the end goal, or I overestimated my ability to get the job done.  I was frequently frustrated and impatient.  One of the problems was that I couldn’t say no to my boss when he asked me to do something, so I would take on too many challenges at once—causing me to fail so miserably in all of them that it would result in his lack of confidence and worse, his trust in me.  I think letting him—and the rest of the team down is what hurt me the most.  It’s like the old analogy of the links of a chain.  A chain is only as strong as its weakest link.  If I had been more discerning in what I took on, I would have been one of the stronger links, rather than one of the weakest. 

To his credit, my boss was always willing to give me a 2nd, 3rd, 4th chance when I overextended myself.  He took the time to teach me how to discern my abilities as he saw them, and in all humility I believe I was quite successful later on in my career as a result of his ‘cultivation’ of my particular talents.

St. Paul tells the Ephesians (and us) about the unique gifts God has given each so that they might fulfill His plan (Ephesians 4:7-16).  It’s up to each of us to discern what God is calling us to do with those gifts.  This is a lifelong process, not just the call to a certain profession or way of life, but the many calls within that profession or way of life and the calls in all of our activities and encounters with others.

There are times in our lives when we find it fairly easy, when things seem to fall in place and the “call” is quite clear; it’s like we’re being led and all we have to do is follow.  These are not necessarily simple things to do, it’s just that the clarity of the call seems to be in bold letters.  Other times, we find ourselves struggling to sort out what the real call is.  In my own life lately, I see so many possibilities and I’m struggling with what the real call is; none are in capital letters to guide me.

I think part of the struggle is related to getting older and knowing that I won’t have time to do everything.  It also comes from the regret for not always following the call to serve God in a more intentional and complete way. 

In a way I feel like the fig tree in the gospel of Luke (Luke 13:1-9).  This is an image that reflects our souls many times.  Often in life we can fall into a rut and our relationship with God and others struggles.  As a result, our lives bear little or no good fruit.  I wouldn’t say that my life has been barren, but I know that there was much more fruit I could have borne had I been open to the more subtle calls from God.

Perhaps this isn’t you at the present moment, but perhaps it is.  Perhaps your life is strongly grounded in Christ or perhaps you’re greatly struggling.  If you’re struggling, try to see yourself as this fig tree.  And try to see the person who commits to “cultivate the ground around it and fertilize it” as Jesus Himself. 

It’s important to note that Jesus didn’t look at this fig tree and discard it as worthless.  He’s a God of second chances and He’s committed to caring for this fig tree in such a way as to offer it every necessary opportunity to bear fruit.  So it is with us.  Jesus never just throws us away, regardless of how far we’ve strayed.  He’s always ready and willing to reach out to us in the ways we need so that our lives can once again bear much fruit.

No comments: