When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Wednesday, December 16, 2020

A call to 'more'



One of the first things I remember being told in my catechism classes was that every word in the Bible is important in context.  But as a child I always wondered why the first few verses of St. Matthew’s Gospel was necessary (Matthew 1:1-17).  Why is it important that we know who came before whom, especially when we can’t pronounce half of the names included.  It wasn’t until I was older that I yearned to know more about my own family heritage: people, names, places.  Things that could give me any indication of who I am and where I came from.  The same applies to the scriptures that give us a genealogy, lists of animals and songs of praise.  With these we’re taken back to where it all began; it shows us how we arrived at where we are today.  As we continue on our Advent journey, we’re given ample occasion to turn and look back. We need that reminder of where we’ve come from so that we can continue to journey with hope for the future.  This look back allows us to prepare the way of the Lord at Christmas and to open up our lives to the Christ-child.

The commercial effect of Christmas can be taxing on us.  We are constantly, from the day after Thanksgiving (in fact some would say even earlier), preparing for the next major holiday milestone, December 25th.  Whether we’re online getting the best discount, gathering groceries, or wrapping gifts, we’re preparing to make Christmas Day happen.  If you were to ask anyone why they make all of these extraneous preparations, they’ll tell you—"I want my family and I to enjoy Christmas Day.”  And that is rightfully so.  Preparing spiritually for His coming is the same.  This time of preparation helps us to better enjoy the celebration, just as it would be if we were preparing for Christmas dinner.

Advent is a time for us to enjoy, prepare ourselves for His coming, and reflect on the rich history that’s brought us here.  Instead of blinding ourselves to everything but Christmas, we should enjoy the journey beforehand.  Throughout Advent we’re graced with Scripture readings, traditions and music that exude our faith and give us the opportunity to prepare our hearts.  We take time to clear away all the debris that has built up, so that when He comes the path is clear.  As we prepare in these final days of Advent for the coming of Christ at Christmas, let’s remind ourselves that we must take time to reflect on our rich Salvation History and prepare, as we should every day, the way of Lord.

Jesus wasn’t with us just for a particular moment in history!  He’s the Messiah longed for all through the ages.  God sent many people to prepare the path for Jesus and their presence gave Jesus to the world.

Advent, especially, is the time of year we should ask ourselves, “How am I working to make Jesus present to the world around me?”  As Saint Francis of Assisi is quoted, “Preach the Gospel always.  When necessary, use words.”  Some questions to ask ourselves are, “Do people in my workplace know my faith by the way I act?”  Am I impatient with others?  I need to have more patience to make Jesus present.  Do I judge others without knowing the full story?  I need to have more openness.  Do I sometimes forget to treat people the way I should, the way I want to be treated?  I need to have more love.  I need to strive for “More”.  When we have more patience, more openness, more love, we proclaim our Savior’s incarnation and make Jesus present to the world around us.

During this and every Advent season we’re all called to look at how we’re creating a path for Jesus in our world.  We’re called to question whether or not our actions bring Jesus’ presence in our community.  We’re called to “More”.  More love.  More kindness.  More faith.  More penance.  More sacrifice.  More prayer. 

No comments: