When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Monday, January 25, 2021

Power, Love, and Self-control



In St. Paul’s letter to St. Timothy, he models how to show care for a friend as he expressed his affection for his dear and trusted friend.  Paul wrote: “As I remember you constantly in my prayers, night and day.  I yearn to see you again, recalling your tears, so that I may be filled with joy, as I recall your sincere faith.”  Paul also told Timothy, “For God did not give us a spirit of cowardice but rather of power and love and self-control.” (2 Timothy 1:1-8)

St. Paul’s words to Timothy should inspire us to ask ourselves some questions:  How am I a trustworthy friend?  Do I create the opportunity to do as the Psalm calls to “Announce God’s salvation day after day?”  (Psalm 96:1-10).  How can I be present to a friend, colleague or family member who views things differently than I do?  What can I do to remind those in my life to appreciate the gifts of grace, mercy and peace from God the Father?  When am I open to an abiding friendship in God as Paul and Timothy shared?

In Mark’s Gospel, Jesus’ mother and relatives were asking for Him as He was addressing the crowds.  When He was told this, He looked at the people around Him, and said, “Who are my mother and my brothers? Here are my mother and brothers. For whoever does the will of God is my brother and sister and mother.” (Mark 3:31-35)

Earlier in the Gospel, Jesus’ family heard that the crowds around Jesus had gotten so big that it was impossible for Him and His disciples to eat.  And when the family heard this, they decided to go get Jesus and bring Him home because they figured that “He is out of his mind.” (Mark 3:20-21)

So, when Jesus said what He said, we hear Him calling us to go beyond family and tribe, so to speak, and see each other as Jesus sees us.  But we can also imagine Jesus telling His family that He can’t go back with them.  He has to keep doing what He’s doing, speaking to crowds about the love of God, and working miracles of healing.  This is for what He had been sent, and so He couldn’t return to a former life that would prevent Him from proclaiming the kingdom of God.

In many ways, we may be called to leave former ways of thinking and doing in order to fulfill the mission we’ve been given.  May we see each other as mother, father, sister and brother, and may we come together to continue sharing the Good News we have in Christ. 



No comments: