When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Sunday, February 28, 2021

"The facts, Ma'am, 'judge' the facts

 


Part of every baptized Christian’s prophetic role is to pass judgment on what’s taking place around us, calling good what is good and evil what is evil.  Yet in Luke’s gospel, the Lord tells the disciples –and us– “Stop judging and you will not be judged” (Luke 6:36-38).  Are we looking at a contradiction?

Fortunately, the English language provides us with a helpful way to clear this seeming contradiction.  We have two different verbs with the same root, but with two quite different meanings. The two verbs are critiquing and criticizing.

We critique performances, actions, works of art, writings; and in doing so we pass objective judgment on things.  When we criticize, we envisage persons and in so doing we pass subjective judgment on the goodness or wrongness of their intentions, which are often unknown to us.  We do need to critique, in order to avoid being uncritical or naive.  But in criticizing we’re setting ourselves up as judges of people’s intentions, which is the Lord’s prerogative: “the Father... has entrusted all judgment to the Son” (John 5: 22).

Part of the prophetic role of baptized Christians is precisely critiquing developments and actions taking place around us, while respecting the people involved.  Even within the Church we all bear a responsibility to critique positions and decisions taken.  But when we cross the line that separates critiquing from criticizing, we’re contributing to the existing polarization, which itself needs being critiqued, yet without criticizing those who hold different positions.

Another phrase in Luke’s gospel that resonates strongly with me is, “For the measure with which you measure will in return be measured out to you.”   I try to put into practice these wise words every single day of my life and I’m intentional in using a “measure” that doesn’t measure anything but instead welcomes, with as much compassion as I have, the other in her or his own beauty.  Not because I expect to be measured the same way, but more because my parents (and life) taught me that the approach of respect, forgiveness, valuing the others’ value and my genuine willingness to let the others be, has brought me to the opportunity to meet wonderful people who have enriched my life in a unique way. 

I’m far from being where I would like to be in terms of true forgiveness and judging or—to be honest, not judging.  As I examine and reflect on my life on a daily basis, I try to adjust my thoughts and behavior to get closer to my ideals.  Something that’s helped me to reach my goals has been to approach people who at first glance may be out of my comfort zone.  I then try to establish a conversation so that I may discover something I hadn’t seen before.  This process is not easy at all for me and I can’t always follow through, but when I do it, 99.9% of the times does work wonderfully!

Another approach I’ve also tried is to read (blogs, magazine articles, books) that at first glance, I would not choose or think I would disagree with.  This exercise has helped me to see other points of view and logics, and while I may disagree with them, at least I’m aware they exist.  This helps me to see the world and people in different ways and makes me re-define how I “measure” (or, better, how I should avoid measuring).

My prayer today is for all of us to be wise and full of love whenever we’re facing a situation in which we have to measure or judge.

No comments: