When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Wednesday, March 31, 2021

A model of service to follow


 

"Do you realize what I’ve done for you? "If I have washed your feet, you ought to wash one another’s feet.  I have given you a model to follow, so that as I have done for you, you should also do."  (John 13:1-15)

There’s an old saying "familiarity breeds contempt."  But I think that often when it comes to Scripture, a better way to phrase this would be "familiarity breeds complacency."

We’ve all heard many times the story told in John’s Gospel.  As a former altar boy, I even had my feet washed by the priest of my parish.  And so sometimes when I hear this account, I find myself tempted to say inwardly "Yeah, yeah, I’ve heard it before.  I have to humble myself.  Let’s go on to the next lesson."

But pause with me here for a moment, and let’s consider what really happened in this story.  The disciples still believed that the Messiah was the one who was going to restore their nation’s former glory.  The Christ would be the warrior king who will drive out the Romans, unite the Hebrew people and establish Israel as a beacon for all nations.  And yet they found themselves in an upper room with the man they believed to be that Messiah and He stripped himself naked, wrapped a towel around His waist, knelt down before them and began to wash their feet like a slave.  And what’s more, from our perspective 2000 years later, we see that Jesus already knew that among these people whose feet He was washing was the one who would betray Him, the one who would deny Him, men who had bickered about who is greater and who would sit His left hand and His right hand.  He had repeatedly asked them, "Don’t you get it yet? After all the time I’ve been with you?"

And He still knelt before them and washed their feet.

It’s easy for us to look back and chuckle at the disciples who didn’t get it.  And yet don’t we still find ourselves looking for that "messiah" who will establish our version of the kingdom of heaven on earth?  Don’t we campaign for that candidate who will restore our nation to its former greatness by promoting social justice or preserving religious freedom or maintaining 2nd amendment rights while fixing the economy with just the right mix (in our minds) of taxation and spending?

Jesus said, "You call me ‘teacher’ and ‘master,’ and rightly so, for indeed I am."  He acknowledges that He is our master, and still, He kneels before us.

This Triduum I pray that I let the words of Jesus deeply affect me, that instead of looking for a "savior" out there, I follow the model of the Savior I carry in my heart and kneel before and wash the feet of those I encounter every day.

No comments: