When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Wednesday, March 17, 2021

So close, yet so far


 

My reflection today took me back to when I was in charge of training new managers and re-training some of the more experienced managers.  I was sometimes exceedingly frustrated by otherwise intelligent and savvy men and women who didn’t appear to listen.  Despite my best efforts and repeated instructions, suggestions and admonitions, the managers would take a different path, turn in the wrong direction or make a mistake.  They knew what they should do, but they didn’t do it.  I would sigh loudly and roll my eyes over their bullheaded behavior that could (and sometimes did) get them into some serious trouble—a handful of them even lost their jobs over their inability or (most often) their unwillingness to listen, learn, and follow directives as taught, despite my frequent intercessions for them with the ‘higher-ups’.

That behavior resonated with me as I read the account in Exodus today, where Moses intercedes for those who have built the molten calf to worship it.  Moses asked God to relent from punishing those who had strayed, who didn’t listen to God and Moses.  God listened to Moses and relented (Exodus 32:7-14).  Then there’s the passage in John, when Jesus seemed exasperated that people didn’t listen or if they did listen, they didn’t hear. He told of people searching the Scriptures to find eternal life, yet they didn’t want to come to Jesus to have that life (John 5:31-47).

It seems to me that this lack of listening, or perhaps it’s listening and not really hearing, also characterizes many peoples’ relationship with God (including my own).  We have instructions, suggestions and admonitions, but we often stray away from what we should do and who we should be.  We don’t hear.  We may listen to the Gospel, but we’re easily swayed by our own bullheadedness.  I pray that I really hear God and that I listen with an open heart and a mind and a will that are open to God’s way, not just my way.

No comments: