When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Tuesday, May 25, 2021

Signs and wonders

 


I reflected on two Scripture readings today that provided me with good “material” to write about.  The bickering disciples depicted in Mark’s gospel usually get my attention (Mark 10:32-45).  Maybe because those guys remind me of growing up with 4 brothers.  But not today.

There’s a single line from the Book of Sirach (Sirach 36:1-17) that took my attention away from those childhood memories when I read it: “Give new signs and work new wonders.” (Sirach 36:6)

My tendency in prayer has grown over the years from disjointed and sporadic to somewhat active.  I engage my imagination and play out gospel scenes.  I’m not really good or practiced in quiet meditation.  But these seven words I read today drew me in, almost like a mantra.

Breathe in: “Give new signs.”

Breathe out: “Work new wonders.”

A mantra is a word or phrase repeated over and again to aid concentration in meditation.  It’s common in eastern religions and the growing popularity of meditation to help quiet the mind and experience the Divine.  Its intention is to step back from all the distractions around us and focus on simple, repetitive words and slow, measured breathing. 

Breathe in: “Give new signs.”

Breathe out: “Work new wonders.”

With all that has happened in the past fifteen months or so, I experience a growing need to find some quiet to hear the voice of the Good Shepherd.  The rancor, incivility, rudeness, and disrespect in word and action in these stressful times lead me to plead with God: “Give new signs and work new wonders.” And if I can find that quiet, I trust God will reveal all the wonderful signs and wonders that are indeed around me.  I’m just too often distracted to see them.  And so, I’ll throw this mantra into the mix today.

Breathe in: “Give new signs.”

Breathe out: “Work new wonders.”

No comments: