When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Wednesday, June 23, 2021

Behold the Lamb of God



St. Paul summed up the work of John the Baptist with the word repentance (Acts 13:22-26).  I think this means one has to think of God in a much bigger and exciting way.  We must change dramatically our thoughts about the wonder of His love.  What God is going to do for us hasn’t even entered into the mind and heart of man in His wildest dreams (Romans 8)!  Biblical “repentance” means not so much that we look to our wayward sins, but to God’s startling love for us.  We’re challenged with God’s amazing ways to call us into the wonderful love life of the Trinity. 

Jesus says the most astonishing things about this sharing of intimacy with God!  “Just as the Father has loved Me, I have also loved you; abide in My love” (John 15:9).  I think these are some of the most astounding words spoken by Jesus.  So strong is Jesus’ love for us it’s like the Father’s love for His “Only Begotten”.  How could Jesus say it more strongly than that?  When John the Baptist said: “Behold the Lamb of God” that must have been the most wonderful sight in the world to those present along the Jordan River!  Pope Benedict XVI beautifully said, “Everything depends on the intimate friendship with Jesus!”

Several years ago (when she was three years old), my granddaughter Lily was showing off a crucifix I had given her.  She held it up and said, "This is Jesus my brother, Oompah gave Him to me.  He is asleep but He can hear me. He is magic. I will leave Him here asleep."  Then she put it down on her dresser, where it is still prominently displayed to this day.  What a simple but profound faith she has!  As I think back on the episode, it occurs to me that maybe her words summed up the main wonderful point of John the Baptist. “Behold the Lamb of God!”

No comments: