When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Friday, August 20, 2021

Make me humble, Lord!

 


We may not know what a phylactery is or how to lengthen a tassel, but when Jesus criticized the scribes and Pharisees, the message was clear – they were using these traditional symbols not for prayer but to bring honor to themselves.  Their prestige from being religious leaders was used to get “places of honor at banquets, seats of honor in synagogues” (Matthew 23:1-12).

Lest anyone think I don’t know what a phylactery is, it’s simply a small box containing Scripture which is tied to the arm or forehead during prayer. This very visible sign of devotion (still used by some today) was being corrupted by the religious leaders who wanted the admiration of all.

It's always easy to dismiss the religious leaders of Jesus' day as dense and judgmental.  But sometimes we may wonder if we’re really all that different.  We may catch ourselves wanting to impress people by how we look or the importance of our jobs.  If we carry titles which bring us honor, we may enjoy using those titles just a little more often than necessary.  Perhaps we want to show people that we’re devout, or how much we’re giving up for Lent or how much time we spend in prayer each day.  Hand-in-hand with each “blessing” of ours may be a judgment about people who don't have important jobs, don't look as polished as we do, and even those who pray differently or less publicly, or something that doesn’t fit our standards.  Guilty as charged!

It’s good to constantly remind ourselves of the power of humility.  Humility doesn’t always come easy to me.  To be humble, I’ve found that I have to submit to God’s will and authority; I have to recognize the talents that others possess, while recognizing the limits to my own talents and ability.  While recognizing the talents of my wife, my children and my grandchildren seems relatively easy, I find it sometimes difficult to recognize other individuals’ talents, and I often find it difficult to do things without being recognized.  It is easy to acknowledge the talents of my immediate family– they are wonderful and at some level it reflects well on me.  I can bask in their glory.  I think that too often, I’m searching for recognition and honor because I want to be valued.  However, I tend to forget that God values all of us, no matter who we are or what we’ve achieved.  I don’t need to seek His approval – I have it.  Unlike the scribes and Pharisees, I don’t have to spend my time on works that are to be seen to be honored.  Undoubtedly, receiving recognition for my talents is appreciated, but those talents are a gift of God.  I thank God for His many blessings and I ask Him to keep me humble.

No comments: