When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Friday, September 24, 2021

Demolition, rebuilding, remodeling

 


Hi! My name is Steve, and I’m an HGTV junkie.  There are days that I actually stream entire seasons of home renovation shows in one sitting.  From the Property Brothers to Holmes and Holmes to Help! I wrecked my house!, and four or five other shows, I’m addicted to all of them! So when I sat down with the Bible today to reflect, I had to chuckle at first.  The selections I read were, in effect, all about demolition, rebuilding, and remodeling.

The story of Zechariah, at least the first part, is set in the context of the Jews returning from the Babylonian exile and the subsequent rebuilding of Jerusalem and the temple.  In my Old Testament reading today, Zechariah saw a man who was about to measure Jerusalem in order to have a starting point, I suppose, with which to begin rebuilding.  But, before he could begin his measuring, an angel tells Zechariah to speak to the guy, declaring that the Lord already had the plan and vision for the rebuilding (Zechariah 2:5-15).

The gospel also is set in the context of Jesus beginning to foretell the destruction of the temple of His body, and Its rebuilding in three days (John 2:19).  The Lord already had the plan and vision for the destruction and rebuilding that was quite beyond the grasp of the disciples (Luke 9:43-45).

So, as I think about rebuilding and remodeling, and all of the times that God has had a vision and plan for the rebuilding and remodeling of my life that went beyond my wildest dreams, I can liken it to any rebuilding of a physical space—the comparisons aren’t so far off.  When one is looking over the piles of dust and dry wall and knee-deep debris that are necessarily present during any reconstructive effort, maybe we can relate.  Maybe we can hear the gospel being spoken in the midst of the mess we stand in.

I think I know how it hurts to be torn up.  I have sometimes choked on the litter left by my own remodeling.  I know what it's like to settle into the fear and hopelessness of believing that I’m wasted space.  I have felt the blows of heavy hammers that nailed me to a sense of uselessness.  Some pretty careless workers who came to the task of making me without any real skill or vision have shaped me, at times.  I know the pain of wanting to be changed and yet being distrustful of changes, of wanting to be worked on, but being suspicious of the intentions of the worker.  But, however messy it is now, however confusing and scary it appears, however endless the task may seem, we will someday be complete and renewed.  There is much tearing out to do—a lot to give up.  As Mike Holmes (of the aforementioned Holmes and Holmes) has said many times on his program, “Make it right!”  Imperfections must be torn out and corrected, not covered up.  Perfection, solidity, art—these take time.  But we’re not wasted space, we’re temples of a Being greater than ourselves, temples being built to be inhabited and brought to life.  Though we may not understand the process and plan, our Rebuilder does.  We are God's and the place where He lives.  We are being made by a Master Carpenter.

A wall of fire that will not burn us but will protect us, guide us, and be the glory while the building is going on, also encircles us, as the Holy Spirit did for the Israelites as they escaped from Egypt (Exodus 13:21-22).  And thankfully, we only have to deliver ourselves into the hands of God in order to be rebuilt.

No comments: