When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Tuesday, September 28, 2021

Message received

 


As Marilyn and I near our 47th wedding anniversary in a couple of weeks, I find myself wondering how in the world we’ve been able to not only to maintain, but to grow in love each day.  I think a lot of it is simply because we know each other so well, and we communicate our love for one another often.  We may not always use words, but as in any communication process, it isn’t enough to hear what the other says, but to understand what the person is trying to say.  True, loving communication is based on the couple truly being present to and with one another, open to giving and receiving what and who each other is.

After reading Scriptures celebrating the feast of the Archangels Michael, Raphael and Gabriel, I reflected on how we understand angels in our Judeo-Christian tradition.  In the scriptures, angels are seen as attending to God (Daniel 7:9-14; John 1:47-51), protectors and guardians (Revelation 12:7-12), and messengers/communicators between God and humans (Genesis 28; Tobit 3-12; Luke 1:26-38; Matthew 28:5-7).

Though my imagination as a child was more engaged with the idea of angels as guardians and protectors, my adult understanding centers more in angels as messengers/ communicators of God.

Today, we might not be visited by an angel as in Mary’s annunciation or the announcement of Jesus’ resurrection, but God continues to communicate with us in special ways.  The question is, how open are we to God’s attempts to speak to us?

The old television series, “Touched By An Angel”, attempted to show God’s presence in the world today through the actions of others.  A search of the web, or any religious bookstores, will turn up lots of angel statues, images, etc. that can remind us of the people who bless us with their loving presence in our lives.

However, it isn’t enough for a message to be sent.  There must be a ‘receiver’, open to the message and ready to attempt to understand and respond in order for the communication to really take place.

For me, making time for reflection and prayer is essential to opening myself to God’s communication/ presence in my life.  It is then that I realize how often I’m touched by God in my life through others…in their care, concern, acts of kindness, words of challenge, and unconditional love.  And – it’s a reminder that I’m called to also be God’s presence – to communicate/make God ‘real’ in my actions and words to others.

No comments: