When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Friday, October 29, 2021

I yam what I yam, and dat's what I yam!

 


"For everyone who exalts himself shall be humbled, and he who humbles himself shall be exalted." (Luke 14:7-11)

I heard a terrific homily from a missionary priest who was visiting our parish years ago.  He told us that if we want to become perfect, the fastest and shortest route is the way of gratitude.  It’s similar to shooting an arrow toward a target.

Gratitude will keep us honest.  It keeps us humble.  We admit whatever we have has been given us.  We accept the reality of who we are.  Like Popeye, “I yam what I yam, and dat’s what I yam!”  That’s good enough.  It doesn’t make sense to exalt ourselves.  I’m grateful to God to be who I am.

I’m not sure where I first heard it, but there’s a prayer that I try to remember whenever I’m feeling less than humble: "Everything I am, even the way I am, with all my gifts of nature and grace, You have given me, Lord.  And You are all of it.  I offer them back to You to praise You, to help others, and myself."

This is precisely what Jesus did, as we acknowledge at every Sacrifice of the Mass when the priest elevates the consecrated Host (Jesus Christ—Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity) and says, "Through him, with him, in him, in the unity of the Holy Spirit, all glory and honor is yours, Almighty Father, for ever and ever."

Awareness of who we are, and grateful for who we are, will keep us humble.  At least that’s my confident hope and prayer.

No comments: