When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Saturday, October 23, 2021

Living on the edge of God's compassion

 


When W.C. Fields, the humorist and lifelong atheist, was dying in a sanitarium, a nurse was surprised to find him reading the Bible. When she asked him what he was doing, Fields wisecracked, “Looking for a loophole.”

Mark’s Gospel shares with us one of the most wonderful and effective prayers in the New Testament.  “And when he heard that it was Jesus of Nazareth, he began to cry out and say, “Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!” (Mark 10:46-52).  In this Gospel, I submit that Bartimaeus found a huge loophole!  “Have mercy on me.”

When I was in 3rd grade, I got caught stealing a toy in a supermarket that was across the street from my house.  The manager called my mother, and she came over to get me.  After she made me apologize to the manager, she pulled me home by my ear, really angry that I would betray her trust in me and embarrass her to the neighbors.  When we got home, Mom sent me to my room and said, “Wait right here!  Think about what you’ve done!  When your father gets home, we’ll decide what to do with you!”

All kinds of thoughts were running around in my head, not the least of which was “Man, this spanking is going to hurt!”  When Dad came home, I got really scared.  As my father began unbuckling his belt, I began pleading (much like Bartimaeus), “Please, Dad! No! I’m sorry!”  The very moment he was about to let loose on my behind, the phone rang.  Dad said, “Saved by the bell for the moment!” and he left the room to see who it was, forgetting about me for the time being.  It was my Aunt Jenny, Mom’s sister.  Mom told her what I had done.  Aunt Jenny offered to come by and take the both of us to confession right then—me for violating the fourth and seventh commandments, and Mom for losing her temper with me.  By this time, Mom and Dad could see that I was sorry.  And I was.  Truly sorry.  Not because of the punishment I might and ought to receive, but because I had offended her and Dad, by not obeying them and staying out of trouble.  I escaped the spanking that day, learning what a gift mercy is. 

But our trip to the confessional was still made—it was an occasion for me to learn yet another lesson. Sin is sin.  Mom spent as much time in the “box” confessing her anger that day as I did for stealing a toy! We both received God’s mercy and forgiveness. 

We all live on the edge of God’s mercy.  We can’t be afraid to jump into the depth of His kindness.  There’s a great democracy among all of us.  We all exist on the precincts of God’s mercy.  None of us can demand God’s favor!  God’s kindness is not primarily wages due to us for work well done.  All is a pure gift due to the Body of Christ given to us and His Blood poured out for us on the cross.  If this is true for the saints among us how much more for us who are deeply flawed?  It seems to me that I must handle my very deep flaws by basically living on the edge of God’s compassion!

No comments: