When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Sunday, November 21, 2021

From my livelihood

 


In a few more days we’ll be celebrating Thanksgiving.  In a blend of traditions pre- and post-Covid, family and friends will be gathering for meals and fellowship either in person, virtually, or a combination of both.  In our secular culture, the Thanksgiving holiday is linked with the gift giving focus of the Christmas season.  Advertisements, coupons and catalogs have been arriving in legions.  The focus on gift giving can shift from joyous generosity to anxiety about what to give, which persons should receive gifts, confusion about what gifts would be appropriate and what resources should be spent.

In Luke’s gospel, Jesus commends the offering made by the poor widow.  He says: “I tell you truly, this poor widow put in more than all the rest; for those others have all made offerings from their surplus wealth, but she, from her poverty, has offered her whole livelihood.”  (Luke 21:1-4)

This profound and challenging teaching from Jesus can help us explore how we want to express both our gratitude during this Thanksgiving week and our love during the Christmas season.  I pray for the grace to understand how can I give not from “my surplus but from my livelihood”?

Jesus honoring the widow from offering her whole livelihood can feel overwhelming.  As I pray today with His words, I hear Jesus asking me to center my life to Him.  He’s not asking me to give away all of my worldly possession, but He does ask me to question how I use my privilege responsibly.  Jesus is extending a call to action, not a reprimand.  Feeling guilt or shame for what we have can be sinful, as the focus on self prevents us from being in service to others.

This Thanksgiving as I enjoy the usual Thanksgiving feast with my family, I pray to hear what else my loved ones need.  “From my livelihood” can I give my family members my time and attention in the form that meets their desire?  Can I let go of my expectations of how they engage in family time?  How can I be available to someone who is very challenging to me?  As I develop my Christmas gift-giving list, can my eyes be opened to who needs to be on the list in a special way?  Can I aspire to be like the widow and share the resources that are my livelihood: my time, autonomy, power, knowledge, health, compassion, creativity, and spirituality?  Digging deep to truly give can feel scary but I rely on my faith in God.  What a wonderful focus for giving thanks to Him!

No comments: