When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Thursday, December 30, 2021

Resolutions for 2022 (and beyond)

Children, it is the final hour.  (1 John 2:18-21)


Here we are, sitting on the last moments of 2021.  Tomorrow is New Year’s Day.   It’s traditionally the day for making resolutions.


For me, I suppose I’d begin by reflecting a bit on these 365 days – the good and the bad – the moments I’ve savored, but also those moments I really just don’t want to taste anymore.  The more I think, the more I’m reminded of all the insanity of these last months – murder, hate, disaster, and also the “Holiday Season” which is chock full of Black Friday fighting, and “I didn’t get what I want for Christmas,” and what seems like a sorrowful loathing and even anger at just anticipating family gatherings.


It really amazes and saddens me how cluttered our lives, as a society, have become with things like selfishness, consumerism, inconsiderate behavior, lack of understanding of other people, rejection, hate – the list goes on and on.  And no matter who we are, we’re all guilty of these things from time to time.  I try hard, but I so often fail to live like the man God wants me to be.  There’s so much cluttering our hearts that we’re just overflowing.  There’s no room for anything else.


Jesus wants to live with us… rather, within us, as we’re reminded in John’s Gospel, “And the Word became flesh, and made his dwelling among us.”  (John 1:14).


To me, it’s like a slap in the face.  “Steve, do you have room?”  Is there space in the inn of my heart?  Is Jesus able to make His dwelling in me?


Thinking about that, I realize I sure have a lot of cleaning to do…  So much so, that perhaps making some resolutions would be the prudent thing.


So, then, here are my resolutions:

    • Lose Weight:  I’m going to drop the weight of hurt and hate and live the lightness of Joy.
    • Clean the House: I’m going to sweep the junk from my mind and soul and make room for love and peace.
    • Stop Smoking: I’m going to stop burning myself up and allow time to rest and pray.
    • Eat Healthier:  I’m going to feed my spirit with the healthy words of life.
    • Be A Better Person: I’m going to treat every person I meet like they are Jesus; with love and mercy.

 

No comments: